Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Tigers on Tour: 2009

17 July 2022

Hull City have travelled far and wide to play fixtures over the years. Here, we take a look at how the Tigers got on abroad…

After surviving their first Premier League season on the final day, Hull City’s preparations for the 2009/10 season saw them travel to Beijing to participate in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

The tournament would close Phil Brown’s side preparations after playing four games prior to travelling to Asia. A 6-0 victory in the Billy Bly Memorial Trophy over North Ferriby United first came before that was followed by 3-0 and 2-1 wins over Winterton Rangers and Carlisle United respectively.

A goalless draw at Hillsborough against Sheffield Wednesday closed the first part of pre-season for the Tigers, before they travelled to the Chinese capital of Beijing for the Asia Trophy.

The competition contested of four teams; Hull City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United and Beijing Guoan in what was one of the headline events at the inaugural 2009 Beijing Football International Festival. The Tigers would take on the latter, who would later win the 2009 Chinese Super League title, at the Workers Stadium.

Geovanni would give the Tigers an early lead after nine minutes, beating goalkeeper Yang Zhi with a swerving strike from 20-yards. The Brazilian almost doubled the lead moments later, but he drilled his low shot wide, before Matt Duke produced two good saves to deny Zhou Ting and Emil Martinez at the other end.

In the second half, Beijing equalised as Cameroon defender Paul Modibo forced home from close range. Geovanni looked to put the Tigers back in front as his free-kick was parried by Zhi while Duke produced two saves late in the game to send the fixture to penalties.

The first six penalties all found the back of the net, before Dean Marney’s spot-kick was well saved. Fortunately for the Tigers, Sui Dongliang scooped his effort over the bar. Bryan Hughes, Guo Hui and Caleb Folan netted their spot-kicks as it entered into sudden-death, with Zhang Xinxin firing over the decisive penalty.

The reward for the Tigers was a place in the final against Tottenham Hotspur just two days later, after they defeated West Ham 1-0 earlier in the day, courtesy of Jermaine Defoe’s finish.

Brown made a handful of changes as Tony Warner replaced Matt Duke in-between the posts, while new signing Steven Mouyokolo started. Youth prospects Nicky Featherstone and Tom Cairney started in the heart of the midfield, while Daniel Cousin led the forward line.

Warner denied Aaron Lennon early in the game, before Robbie Keane opened the scoring on 16 minutes. Chances were there for both teams as Cousin and Marney fired chances wide, while Warner blocked Defoe’s shot with a smart save.

The Tigers came roaring into life in the second half, but found Herulho Gomes in inspired form, pushing away Marney’s strike, before producing a key double save to deny Kamil Zayatte and Kevin Kilbane.

His saves would prove to be decisive as Tottenham doubled their lead from the penalty spot on 68 minutes through Keane, before Lennon diverted Kyle Naughton’s cross two minutes from time to secure them the Asia Trophy.

Advertisement block