Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swansea City 0-0 Hull City: Match Report

11 September 2021

Resolute Hull City played out a second successive goalless draw in a match of few chances away to Swansea City.

The closest either side came was when Matt Grimes’ first-half free-kick was tipped onto the post by Matt Ingram, who also produced smart stops to deny Kyle Naughton and Joel Piroe.

Fit-again Mallik Wilks started for the first time since the opening day, in one of three changes from the scoreless draw with AFC Bournemouth prior to the international break.

Josh Magennis was passed fit after a hip problem and George Moncur returned after a three-match suspension, with Ryan Longman and the two Smiths, Matt and Tyler, named among the substitutes.

Russell Martin’s Swans looked to monopolise possession from the outset and enjoyed 71% of the play in the first half, retaining the ball neatly and patiently.

A double defensive intervention kept the hosts at bay on 16 minutes as Tom Huddlestone blocked Jake Bidwell’s shot and Oliver Ntcham’s near-post strike deflected behind off Callum Elder.

Ethan Laird directed a towering header well wide from Bidwell’s cross and Piroe’s 20-yarder was smothered by Ingram low to his left.

The home pressure was building and it took an inspired, fingertip stop from the Tigers’ number one to keep the scores level on 25 minutes.

Grimes’ curling 25-yard free-kick was arcing towards the top corner until a flying Ingram stretched out his left hand to flick the ball superbly onto an upright.

A scramble ensued, with Piroe eventually firing over, and shortly after, Naughton was allowed to advance unopposed and hit a rasping long-range drive which was palmed away by Ingram.

Ntcham steered wide via a deflection on the cusp of half-time, with the Tigers unable to create any chances of note in an opening 45 dominated by the Welsh outfit.

Wilks had the visitors’ first attempt shortly after the resumption – a wild effort which sailed high and wide – while Grimes fared little better with an ambitious strike moments before.

Swansea’s possession-based approach remained unaltered in the second half and they felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Laird went down under the challenge of Elder from behind.

Referee Keith Stroud was uninterested and waved away further appeals for a foul on Jamie Paterson by Di’Shon Bernard as home frustrations grew.

Grimes again missed the target from range as many a Swansea attack broke down on the edge of the Hull City box, although there was still little offered the other way.

Grant McCann turned to his bench in search of attacking inspiration, bringing on Matt Smith and Tyler Smith in place of Wilks and Magennis.

Ingram had to be alert to shovel away Piroe’s well-struck drive at his near post and a stretching Michael Obafemi diverted wide from a corner.

Having defended valiantly, the Tigers very nearly pinched victory in the fifth minute of added time.

After another Swansea move was repelled, Huddlestone released Ryan Longman down the left with an exquisite outside-of-the-boot pass.

The substitute, introduced late on for Moncur, cut infield and curled a fine right-footed effort towards the far corner but Swans stopper Ben Hamer batted away with both hands.


Swansea City: Ben Hamer, Ryan Bennett, Flynn Downes, Matt Grimes ©, Oliver Ntcham (Ryan Manning 71’), Jamie Paterson, Joel Piroe, Jake Bidwell (Michael Obafemi 77’), Kyle Naughton (Ben Cabango 86’), Ethan Laird, Rhys Williams.

Subs not used: Steven Benda, Jay Fulton, Liam Cullen, Joel Latibeaudiere.


Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle ©, Di’Shon Bernard, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Tom Huddlestone, Greg Docherty, George Moncur (Ryan Longman 81’); Mallik Wilks (Matt Smith 64’), Josh Magennis (Tyler Smith 71’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs not used: Nathan Baxter, Richie Smallwood, Josh Emmanuel, Sean McLoughlin.


Attendance: 16,317

Advertisement block