Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Luton Town 1-0 Hull City: Match Report

23 October 2021

Hull City slumped to a third successive defeat as Eijah Adebayo’s first-half header gave in-form Luton Town a narrow victory.

Captain Richie Smallwood was recalled to the starting XI in the only change from the defeat to Peterborough United as Tom Huddlestone missed out through a hamstring injury.

The Tigers – wearing the club’s popular blackout away kit for the first time – almost made the worst possible start as the Hatters rattled the woodwork inside four minutes.

Uncertain defending presented Luke Berry with a chance to shoot – his left-footed drive taking a wicked deflection and completely wrong-footing Matt Ingram but trickling against the foot of the post.

Sonny Bradley’s kneed effort from a corner found the grateful arms of Ingram, who then claimed Berry’s looping header, as the hosts made all of the early running.

The pressure paid off on 17 minutes as Fred Onyedinma’s dancing feet and bending cross to the far post gave Adebayo the simple task of stooping to nod home from close range.

The Tigers enjoyed an improved spell around the half-hour mark without greatly threatening; Keane Lewis-Potter’s 25-yard free-kick hit the wall and Greg Docherty poked well wide.

Nathan Jones’ side were looking to extend a four-match unbeaten run and could have had a second six minutes before the interval.

Onyedinma’s devilish curling delivery was unusually chested away by Ingram, who then flung himself to his right to keep out Glen Rea’s fizzing follow-up strike.

The Tigers’ first effort on target came in first half injury time as Mallik Wilks collected Lewis-Potter’s volleyed pass and drove forward before hitting a low drive which Simon Sluga saved comfortably.

In a second half light on chances, Jordan Clark’s 58th-minute shot was smothered by Ingram and Josh Magennis directed a diving near-post header wide from Richie Smallwood’s inviting cross.

With the visitors chasing, McCann turned to his bench and brought on ex-Hatter George Moncur, who received a warm reception, and Tom Eaves.

A huge chance came and went on 73 minutes as Eaves was unable to pick out Lewis-Potter for a tap-in, with Sluga stranded after failing to gather Jacob Greaves’ incisive pass.

The Tigers cranked up the pressure in the closing stages and sent on Randell Williams in a final throw of the dice.

But despite a late flurry, which included Docherty flashing a low ball across the face of goal that narrowly eluded everyone and the far post, the Tigers could not find a leveller.


Luton Town: Simon Sluga; Sonny Bradley ©, Glen Rea, Tom Lockyer; James Bree, Harry Cornick, Luke Berry (Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu 22’), Amari’i Bell; Jordan Clark, Fred Onyedinma (Reece Burke 78’), Elijah Adebayo (Cameron Jerome 46’).

Subs not used: James Shea, Carlos Mendes Gomes, Allan Campbell, Admiral Muskwe.


Hull City: Matt Ingram, Lewie Coyle, Di’Shon Bernard, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Richie Smallwood ©, George Honeyman (Randell Williams 83’), Greg Docherty; Mallik Wilks (George Moncur 64’), Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 69’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs not used: Harvey Cartwright, Josh Emmanuel, Andy Cannon, Sean McLoughlin.


Attendance: 9,999 (793 Hull City supporters).

Advertisement block