Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Accrington 2-0 Hull City: Match Report

26 January 2021

Hull City were brought back down to earth after losing to play-off hopefuls Accrington Stanley.

Second-half goals from Dion Charles and Matt Butcher inflicted a first defeat in seven matches on the Tigers, who failed to hit the heights of the previous two games.

Grant McCann made one change from the 4-0 victory at Portsmouth as Josh Magennis – scorer of the fourth goal at Fratton Park – replaced Gavin Whyte, who dropped to the bench.

Hull City ran out emphatic 3-0 winners against Accrington a week ago, but it was the hosts who looked the more dangerous early on in wet and windy conditions in East Lancashire.

Tariq Uwakwe’s firm first-time effort forced George Long into a smart near-post save, with the visiting keeper then seizing the ball on the line after a scramble from the resulting corner.

Both teams took aim from distance; Tigers skipper Richie Smallwood skied a 25-yarder, while Butcher’s strike from a similar position was patted down by Long and claimed at the second attempt.

Hull City had been fairly subdued as an attacking force but thought they should have been ahead on 33 minutes.

Callum Elder swung a delightful left-footed cross towards the near post which Magennis met with a deft glancing header into the far corner, but the celebrations were halted by an offside flag.

From almost being ahead, the Tigers found themselves behind five minutes into the second half.

A slick move down the Stanley left saw Uwakwe poke a precise ball through for Charles to finish low past Long at his near post.

With the Tigers’ six-match unbeaten run in 2021 on the line, Keane Lewis-Potter took matters into his own hands with a fabulous solo run from inside his own half.

The youngster slalomed his way into the right side of the box and unleashed a powerful drive from a narrow angle which home keeper Nathan Baxter parried.

The visitors were now showing more attacking intent and Lewis-Potter played the ball across for Mallik Wilks, well-placed inside the area, but the forward blazed horribly over.

That prompted a double change from McCann on 62 minutes as on-loan duo Dan Crowley and Whyte came on for Magennis and Smallwood.

But before the substitutes had chance to make any kind of impact, Hull City were two goals down.

Another fine move from John Coleman’s side culminated in Butcher collecting possession 20 yards out and arrowing a crisp low drive beyond the despairing dive of Long.

George Honeyman was immediately withdrawn having received a knock to his shin just prior to the Reds' second goal, with Reece Burke taking his place.

The match was running away from the Tigers, who were fortunate not to fall further behind as Stanley created three good chances in quick succession.

Uwakwe’s well-struck effort was parried by Long and Sean McConville’s long-range shot took a wicked deflection and bounced off the top of the bar.

From the subsequent corner, Michael Nottingham’s goalbound header was blocked by his own man Charles and ricocheted to safety.

The Tigers’ record of scoring in every previous away game was in serious jeopardy but they kept pushing.

Elder cleared the bar after a flowing move and Lewis-Potter had penalty appeals waved away as Accrington comfortably held on to avenge last week’s defeat.


Accrington: Nathan Baxter, Michael Nottingham, Mark Hughes, Matt Butcher, Joe Pritchard, Sean McConville, Tariq Uwakwe, Ben Barclay, Colby Bishop, Seamus Conneely ©, Dion Charles.

Sub: Toby Savin, Jonathan Russell, Joe Maguire, Harvey Rodgers, Rhys Fenlon, Reagan Ogle, Gary Roberts.


Hull City: George Long; Lewie Coyle, Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Richie Smallwood © (Gavin Whyte 63’), Greg Docherty, George Honeyman (Reece Burke 69’); Mallik Wilks, Josh Magennis (Dan Crowley 63’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs: Matt Ingram, Josh Emmanuel, Regan Slater, Billy Chadwick.

Advertisement block