Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wigan Athletic 0-5 Hull City: Match Reaction

17 February 2021

Mallik Wilks scored his first career hat-trick as five-star Hull City thrashed relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic.

The forward, making his 50th appearance for the club, netted twice in five first-half minutes to set the visitors on their way to their biggest win of the season.

Keane Lewis-Potter and Josh Magennis notched after the break before Wilks grabbed his third to fire the Tigers back up to second in League One.

Fit-again Alfie Jones returned to the starting XI in place of Dan Crowley, who dropped to the bench, as Grant McCann made one change from the MK Dons defeat.

Eager to get back on the winning trail, Wilks teed up Greg Docherty for an early chance but the Scot’s firm near-post drive was pushed behind by Latics keeper Jamie Jones.

That effort was the only attempt either side mustered until the 25th-minute, when stout defending prevented the second-bottom Latics from going in front.

Jacob Greaves made a vital block to deny Jamie Proctor from Tendayi Darikwa’s low cross and fellow centre-back Reece Burke then deflected Viv Solomon-Otabor’s placed shot into the side-netting.

Those defensive interventions proved even more significant two minutes later as the Tigers drew first blood, Wilks turning inside the box before steering left footed under Jamie Jones.

It was Wilks’ first goal in seven matches and the half-centurion had another five minutes later.

From Magennis’ flick-on, Wilks rolled his man near halfway and motored forward menacingly before drilling an accurate low drive in off the post from 16 yards with his weaker right foot.

The visitors had only scored once in their previous five league outings but sensed more goals.

Magennis’ thunderous 25-yard free-kick was too hot for Jamie Jones to handle, with George Honeyman squaring for Burke to tap-in, but the offside flag was raised.

The goal-hungry Tigers could have put the game to bed before half-time but Magennis nodded wide from close range after a strong run and delightful dinked cross from Docherty.

Four minutes into the second half and City had a third, Wilks turning provider with an intelligent looping cross towards the back post, where Lewis-Potter headed in from a matter of yards.

There was a moment of confusion as the linesman raised his flag for offside but referee Graham Salisbury overruled him and the goal was allowed to stand.

With confidence flowing, Honeyman’s in-swinging corner was flicked on by Lewis-Potter towards Greaves, whose effort cannoned back off the far post.

It wasn’t to matter as Lewis-Potter pickpocketed his man and played a reverse pass to Magennis, who carried the ball forward before sliding neatly into the bottom corner.

Four-up with 53 minutes played but the Tigers had no interest in taking their foot off the pedal.

A short corner routine between Honeyman and Callum Elder saw the latter sting the palms of Jamie Jones, with Lewis-Potter glancing a diving header wide from Lewie Coyle’s cross.

Hull City were utterly relentless and added a fifth on 64 minutes, Wilks coolly picking out the bottom corner with a precise, curling 25-yarder to complete a memorable treble.

The game was long since over as a contest but petered out in the closing stages, with both managers taking the opportunity to use all of their allocated substitutes.

One of those introduced, Crowley, curled wide from range and Wigan’s Zach Clough drew a decent save from the underworked Matt Ingram, who parried to his left.


Wigan Athletic: Jamie Jones ©, Tendayi Darikwa, Curtis Tilt, George Johnston, Will Keane (Callum Lang 55’), Funso Ojo, Scott Wootton (Corey Whelan 45’), Dan Gardner (Joe Dodoo 56’), Jamie Proctor (Zach Clough 71’), Viv Solomon-Otabor (Luke Robinson 56’), Chris Merrie.

Subs not used: Owen Evans, Gavin Massey.


Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle ©, Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Alfie Jones (Jordan Flores 63’), George Honeyman (Josh Emmanuel 80’), Greg Docherty (Regan Slater 63’); Mallik Wilks (James Scott 71’), Josh Magennis (Dan Crowley 63’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs not used: George Long, Sean McLoughlin.

Advertisement block