Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Crewe Alexandra U18’s 0-2 Hull City U18’s: Report

5 November 2020

Hull City U18’s progressed to the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup after a 2-0 away win against Crewe Alexandra. Goals from Louis Beckett and Will Jarvis secured the Tigers victory at The Alexandra Stadium.

John Anderson and Matt Hare made just one change to the starting eleven that were defeated 5-3 away at Colchester United last time out. Henry Curtis came into the team for the injured Josh Ward.

It was the Tigers who created the first effort of the game as Beckett saw his shot saved by Thomas Booth. Charlie Finney then curled an effort wide for Crewe, before Harry Fisk was called into action at his near post to deny Connor Salisbury.

Josh Hinds and Beckett both went close for the Tigers as Hinds saw his initial shot blocked, before the rebound by Beckett went over the bar. Fisk then produced a stunning save from point-blank range to deny Salisbury, after the Crewe striker connected with Kyle Stubbs’ cross, while in the other goal, Booth held Beckett’s low drive. Hinds then saw his dipped free-kick go just over the bar as the first half ended goalless.

In the second half, the Tigers continued to push for the opener as Harvey Carew whipped a low ball across goal, but no-one could get a decisive touch while at the other end, Crewe hit the post through Finney’s low strike.

Hinds then tested Booth from close-range, before Harry Lovick saw his shot blocked by Connor O’Riordan. Substitute Jarvis then could only guide his headed attempt wide, while Salisbury headed wide from Joseph Levey’s free-kick.

Crewe nearly opened the scoring through a goalmouth scramble. After their initial corner wasn’t cleared by the Hull defence, Fenton Green saw his shot deflect into the path of Stubbs, who in-turn saw the combination of Alfie Taylor and Fisk deny him.

With ten minutes left to play, the Tigers got the opener as Jarvis drove the ball from his own half, before finding Beckett at the back post to finish a decisive counter attack. From that moment, the Tigers controlled play as Jevon Mills hit the post from his header, while McCauley Snelgrove and Taylor both saw their attempts saved by Booth.

The Tigers then doubled their lead in injury time as Crewe took their free-kick quickly, passing back to to Booth and Jarvis was alert to tackle the Crewe goalkeeper fairly, before putting the ball into the empty net.

Crewe Alexandra: Thomas Booth (GK), Fenton Green (C), Sam Lawton, Matthew McDonald (Bailey Marsden 85’), Connor O’Riordan, Michael Williams, Kyle Stubbs (Harrison Bebbington 90’), Joel Tabiner, Connor Salisbury, Charlie Finney, Joseph Levey.  

Subs Not Used: Jack Marrow, Jerry Le Grand Akpo (GK), Lewis Billington, Alex Higgins, Liam Kennington.

Hull City: Harry Fisk (GK), Henry Curtis (Jake Leake 56’), Harry Lovick, Louis Beckett, Jevon Mills, Alfie Taylor, Rio Dyer (Will Jarvis 65’), McCauley Power, Harvey Carew (McCauley Snelgrove 65’), Oliver Green (C), Josh Hinds.

Subs Not Used: Tom Macauley (GK), Luke Rees, Billy Leach, Harry Wallis.

Advertisement block