Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U23s 2-1 Wigan Athletic U23s: Match Report

8 March 2022

Mallik Wilks’ brace helped Hull City Under-23s defeat Wigan Athletic 2-1 in the Professional Development League.

The forward scored in each half as the Tigers secured all three points at the MKM Stadium.

Richard Naylor and Andy Dawson made four changes to his starting XI that faced Sheffield United last time out. David Robson replaced Harry Fisk in-between the sticks, while Wilks featured following his recent return from injury. Will Jarvis and Oliver Green also started in place of midfield duo Callum Jones and Andy Cannon respectively.

There were few chances in the opening exchanges of the game as Harry Wood tested Sam Tickle from range, before Wilks’ cross-come-shot was blocked by Adam Long. Harry McGee then tried an audacious attempt from the half-way line, which went wide, before Wilks opened the game’s scoring. Leading the counter-attack himself down the right flank, the forward cut inside to evade his marker, before rifling his low strike into the bottom corner.

Four minutes later and the Tigers could have had a second. Tom Nixon picked out the run of McCauley Snelgrove at the front post, but his flicked finish went narrowly wide past the right-hand post. The unnamed trialist was next to take aim for Hull City, but his poked finish went the wrong side of Tickle’s left-hand post.

At the other end, Dean Pinnington fired wide of the mark with a powerful strike, while Wilks headed wide from Green’s whipped cross.

Wigan made two early substitutions in the second half as they searched for the equaliser. Robson was called into action as he held Kieran Lloyd’s low cross, before substitute Harry McHugh fired his strike into the side netting. Wilks then saw his effort blocked by Charlie Hughes, before Jarvis drew a save from Tickle in the Wigan goal.

Joe Adams and Harry Lovick both fired efforts off-target for their respected teams, before Tom Costello almost made an immediate impact from the bench as he forced Robson into a save.

The visitors equalised on 79 minutes as Divin Baningime and Lloyd linked up on the right wing, with the latter pulling the ball back to McHugh to rifle his first-time effort into the roof of the net.  

The Tigers though came roaring back as Wilks netted his second just six minutes later. Lovick’s cross found Snelgrove at the back post, with the winger’s header going towards Wilks. The forward in-turn rose highest to head home from six yards as the Tigers secured the victory.


Hull City (4-3-3): David Robson; Tom Nixon (C), Festus Arthur, Alfie Taylor, Harry Lovick; Oliver Green, Harry Wood, Trialist (Louis Beckett 62’); McCauley Snelgrove, Mallik Wilks, Will Jarvis (Sincere Hall 69’).

Subs Not Used: Harry Fisk, Harry Wallis.


Wigan Athletic (4-4-2): Sam Tickle; Timi Sobowale, Charlie Hughes, Adam Long (C), Dan Smith (Divin Baningime 51’); Kieran Lloyd, Harry McGee, Kai Payne, Dean Pinnington; Joe Adams (Tom Costello 72’), Babajide Odeeko (Harry McHugh 46’).

Subs Not Used: Owen Mooney, Steven Sumner.

Advertisement block