Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 2-1 Bristol City

30 July 2022

Hull City came from behind to secure an opening day win, defeating Bristol City 2-1 at the MKM Stadium.

Despite Andreas Weimann scoring the opener, finishes from new signings Ozan Tufan and Jean Michaël Seri secured the Tigers all three points in the EFL Championship.

Shota Arveladze gave four full debuts when naming his starting XI. Tobias Figueriedo, Tufan, Óscar Estupiñán and Seri all started, while fellow new signings Benjamin Tetteh and Vaughn Covil were named on the bench.

Before the game, both sets of players, staff and supporters paid respects to former Hull City player manager Terry Neill, who recently passed away aged 80. Making 122 appearances as a player and managing 206 games for the Tigers, everyone at the MKM Stadium took part in a minute’s applause prior to kick-off.

Matt Ingram produced a stunning save within the opening minutes of the fixture as Mark Sykes’ cross from the right-hand edge picked out Matty James. However, the midfielder’s guided header was acrobatically stopped by Ingram.

At the other end, Allahyar Sayydamanesh almost set up Estupiñán for a debut day goal with a whipped delivery, but the Columbian forward narrowly missed the cross as Daniel Bentley gathered.

Both Jean Michaël Seri and Ozan Tufan saw efforts deflect wide off Bristol City defenders, before the Robins took the lead on the 30th minute. Kal Naismith’s perfect free-kick delivery found Zak Vyner, who in-turn headed the ball across for Weimann to smash home.

The Tigers looked to respond as Seri’s precise pass released Estupiñán, but his one-on-one attempt was well saved by the onrushing Bentley. Jacob Greaves’ cut-back was cleared over the bar by Naismith before from the resulting corner, Tufan’s shot pin balled around the area, with the ball eventually being cleared.

The Turkish international almost pulled the Tigers level in the second half. Great play between Alfie Jones and Seri saw the latter produce a dummy to create space for Tufan to shoot. However, the midfielder’s thunderous first-time hit struck the outside of the left-hand post.

Tyler Smith fired high and wide from distance while Ingram held a low and dangerous cross from Tommy Conway. The Bristol City forward went for goal himself with the next effort, but his strike was always rising.

On the 72nd minute, the Tigers received a penalty. Tetteh brought the ball down and went down under the challenge of Naismith as he was shaping up to shoot. Tufan stepped up and dispatched his spot-kick with confidence, despite Bentley diving the correct way.

In the latter stages, Jay Dasilva flashed his strike narrowly wide while Conway saw his strike blocked by Figueiredo. In stoppage time, Ingram produced a great reaction save to deny Weimann before the Tigers secured the three points three minutes into injury time.

The ball fell to Seri on the edge of the penalty area, and his thunderous strike took a big deflection off Timm Klose to find the far corner of the net, leaving Bentley stranded.

Greg Docherty almost added a third with the final kick of the game following a quick counter attack, but his strike hit the side netting.


Hull City (3-4-1-2): Ingram; Jones, Figueiredo, Greaves; Coyle (C), Seri, Slater, Allahyar (Covil 84’); Tufan (Docherty 73’); Smith (Elder 73’), Estupiñán (Tetteh 64’).

Subs not used: Robson, Cannon, McLoughlin.


Bristol City (3-4-1-2): Bentley (C); Vyner, Naismith, Atkinson (Klose 89’); Sykes (Wilson 60’), Williams, James, Dasilva; Scott (Conway 60’); Weimann, Martin.

Subs Not Used: O’Leary, Tanner, Wells, Massengo.


Attendance: 16,667


Advertisement block