Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U18s 2-2 Barnsley U18s: Match Report

17 January 2022

Two goals from an unnamed trialist helped Hull City U18s secure a draw against Barnsley U18s in the Professional Development League Cup.

Both teams finished the game with 10 men as Harry Wallis and Barnsley’s Luis Lacey were sent off for an off-the-ball incident.

John Anderson and Billy Clarke made three changes to the starting XI that defeated Wigan Athletic 5-1 last time out. Harry Fisk featured as an overage player and replaced first-year scholar Ben Voase between the sticks, while Kyle Fanning and Jake Brown started in place of Sam Deacon and Sincere Hall.

The Tigers started the brighter of the two teams as Trialist B tested Rogan Ravenhill in the Barnsley goal, before Alfie Taylor’s headed attempt hit the side-netting. Josh McKay then produced a vital challenge to deny Brown going through one-on-one, while Mylan Benjamin volleyed wide for the visitors.

Trialist B opened the scoring in the 26th minute as good passing play between Rio Dyer and Wallis saw the latter pick out the run of the forward, who clinically finished from close range. The unnamed trialist searched for a second, but his left-footed effort curled narrowly wide past the post, before Dyer saw his shot blocked by Kynan Murchison.

Barnsley equalised on 38 minutes as they capitalised on a defensive mistake from Trialist A. His pass was intercepted by Alex Anaman and after forcing an initial save from Fisk, fired the ball into the back of the net. The Tigers tried to respond immediately as Taylor saw his header blocked, before Dyer had his effort saved. Barnsley then failed to clear their lines as Trialist A saw his venomous strike saved by Ravenhill.

The visitors took just two minutes into the second half to take the lead as good build-up play created space for Josiah Dyer to place a low effort into the bottom corner. However, it took the Tigers just eight minutes to find an equaliser. After Ravenhill parried Trialist A’s header, the loose ball fell to Trialist B to poke home the rebound from a few yards. 

Both teams pushed for a winner as Fisk pushed away McKay’s low drive, while Sincere Hall volleyed narrowly wide from Billy Leach’s delivery, before the teams were reduced to 10 men. Following an initial foul, an off-the-ball incident ensued with the result seeing the referee sending off both Wallis and Lacey.

There was time for both goalkeepers to produce heroics late on as Fisk parried Theo Chapman’s strike, before Dyer saw his placed attempt blocked by the feet of Ravenhill at his near post.


Hull City: Harry Fisk; James Carr, Trialist A, Alfie Taylor; Billy Leach, Kyle Fanning, Harry Wallis (C), Henry Curtis; Rio Dyer (Rocco Coyle 87’), Trialist B (Sincere Hall 62’), Jake Brown (Keegan Green 78’).

Subs Not Used: Ben Voase.


Barnsley: Rogan Ravenhill; Josh McKay, Kynan Murchison, Alex Joof, Luis Lacey; Matthew Doyle, Charlie Hickingbottom (C), Mylan Benjamin; Theo Chapman, Josiah Dyer, Alex Anaman.

Subs: Ben Hall, Harrison Nejman, Blake Goucher, Keegan Hartley, Lloyd Smith.

Advertisement block