Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Peterborough United 0-3 Hull City: Match Report

26 February 2022

Tyler Smith’s first Championship goal and Keane Lewis-Potter's brilliant brace earned Hull City a resounding victory over former head coach Grant McCann’s struggling Peterborough United.

Smith stabbed home the opener on 25 minutes and Lewis-Potter doubled the Tigers’ lead shortly after half-time with a fizzing strike.

The 21-year-old prodded home his second to wrap up a first win in seven for Shota Arveladze’s men and condemn ex-City chief McCann to defeat in his maiden game in charge.

In need of a reaction after the midweek defeat to bottom club Barnsley, Arveladze switched shape to 3-4-2-1 and made four personnel changes.

Matt Ingram, available again after suffering concussion in the last away match at Queens Park Rangers, started in goal in place of Harvey Cartwright.

Alfie Jones came into a back three, Greg Docherty played in central midfield and Tyler Smith was deployed up front, with Regan Slater moved into an unfamiliar right wing-back role.

Di’Shon Bernard and Ryan Longman dropped to the bench as Marcus Forss missed out through injury, with Mallik Wilks named in a matchday squad for the first time since mid-December.

Eager to impress their new boss, Posh dominated possession in the early exchanges at a sun-kissed London Road.

City found their footing after 10 minutes and started to string some passes together, with Lewis-Potter hitting a 25-yard free-kick over the bar following a strong driving run infield from Slater.

The ex-Sheffield United man then curled in a first-time cross which Lewis-Potter met with his head but could not keep down.

The opening goal arrived on 25 minutes when Smith nipped in between Ronnie Edwards and hesitant home keeper Steven Benda to poke home Brandon Fleming’s teasing near-post cross from close range.

Winless in their previous 10 and short of confidence, United were carved open again down the left after neat combination play between Lewis-Potter and Fleming.

The latter’s low delivery was blocked by the outstretched leg of Benda and the ball ricocheted fortuitously off Smith and back into his arms.

Smelling blood, George Honeyman’s firm shot on the turn was claimed by Benda, who was in the right place to keep out Docherty’s drive from Lewis-Potter’s cut-back.

The second City goal came six minutes into the second half as the ball broke kindly for Lewis-Potter to thump a fizzing first-time strike into the bottom corner from 22 yards.

The irrepressible youngster was tormenting the relegation-threatened hosts, jinking forward and teeing up Richie Smallwood but the captain miscued his effort well wide.

Fleming, excellent throughout, looked to inflict further misery on his old boss just past the hour, curling a lovely left-footed free-kick over the wall but just wide of the post.

The Tigers scored a delightful third with 20 to play, Lewis-Potter pinching possession off Jorge Grant and racing clear before coolly prodding the ball through the legs of the onrushing Benda.

The noisy 1,800-plus travelling fans were enjoying their afternoon in the Cambridgeshire sunshine and Smith almost made their day even better but his left-footer was held by Benda.

Sammie Szmodics side-footed straight at an underworked Ingram from Frankie Kent’s pull-back, with City barely troubled as they closed out their joint-biggest victory of the season.


Peterborough United (3-4-1-2): Steven Benda; Josh Knight, Ronnie Edwards, Frankie Kent; Joe Ward, Reece Brown (Jorge Grant 65’), Oliver Norburn, Harrison Burrows (Hayden Coulson 60’); Sammie Szmodics; Callum Morton, Jack Marriott (Ricky-Jade Jones 60’).

Subs not used: Dai Cornell, Jonson Clarke-Harris, Bali Mumba, Jeando Fuchs.


Hull City (3-4-2-1): Matt Ingram; Alfie Jones, Sean McLoughlin, Jacob Greaves; Regan Slater, Richie Smallwood ©, Greg Docherty (Tom Huddlestone 84’), Brandon Fleming; George Honeyman (Liam Walsh 46’), Keane Lewis-Potter; Tyler Smith (Mallik Wilks 84’).

Subs not used: Harvey Cartwright, Ryan Longman, George Moncur, Di’Shon Bernard.


Attendance: 9,463 (1,830 Hull City supporters).

Advertisement block