Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U23s 0-0 Barnsley U23s: Match Report

15 February 2022

Hull City Under-23s played out a goalless draw against Barnsley in the Professional Development League.

Despite the scoreline, both teams hit the woodwork while goalkeeper David Robson saved a penalty in the first half in what was an exciting game at the MKM Stadium.

Richard Naylor and Andy Dawson made three changes to his starting XI that defeated Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 last time out. Robson replaced Tom Macauley in-between the sticks, while Louis Beckett and Alfie Taylor came into the team for Sincere Hall and Andy Smith respectively.

The first chance of the game fell to the feet of Josh Hinds, who beat the offside trap to meet Callum Jones’ through pass, but the forward’s finish was saved by Daniel Jinadu at his near post. McCauley Snelgrove then tried an audacious chip, which went wide, before Tom Nixon’s dangerous low delivery flashed across the Barnsley penalty area.

Chances were limited in the first half as Fabio Jalo saw his shot deflect off the recovering Festus Arthur, with Robson preventing the loose ball from going behind for an opposition corner, before Snelgrove fired his left-footed effort over the bar at the other end.

Will Lancaster had the next opportunity of the game, but his first-time attempt was blocked by Nixon, before Jordan Helliwell had his shot comfortably held by Robson. His fellow opposition fullback Nixon then saw his close-ranged strike deflect behind, while Alfie Taylor produced a stunning last ditch challenge to stop Cameron Thompson from taking aim, with Will Hondermark dragging the rebound wide.

The visitors were awarded a penalty near the end of the first half as Harry Lovick brought down Jalo. Matthew Wolfe stepped up to take the spot-kick, but Robson dived down low brilliantly to his left-hand side to deny the Barnsley midfielder.

Harry Wood almost gave the Tigers a perfect start to the second half within the opening minute as he connected with Beckett’s squared pass, but the midfielder’s strike was pushed around the post by Jinadu. Five minutes later and Barnsley hit the post through Jalo’s looping attempt, before Robson blocked Thompson’s effort with his feet as the striker saw a second attempt deflect wide.

In the other goal, Jinadu parried Snelgrove’s powerful drive from 25-yards, before Hall saw his strike come back off the post after he met Nixon’s low cross. Both teams continued to find the opener as Harry Wallis’ attempt was held by Jinadu, while both Keegan Hartley and Jack Sherlock fired chances narrowly wide for the visitors.

In the latter stages of the fixture, Taylor produced another perfect last ditch challenge to deny Hondermark, before Wood and Hall both saw shots blocked by Barnsley. Jinadu was called into action deep into stoppage time as he flicked Hinds’ drive around the post.


Hull City (4-3-3): David Robson; Tom Nixon (C), Festus Arthur, Alfie Taylor, Harry Lovick; Oliver Green (Harry Wallis 72’), Harry Wood, Callum Jones; McCauley Snelgrove, Josh Hinds, Louis Beckett (Sincere Hall 72’).

Subs Not Used: Harry Fisk, Henry Curtis, Jake Brown.


Barnsley (3-4-3): Daniel Jinadu; Amir Ariely, Aapo Halme, Jasper Moon (C); Will Hondermark, Matthew Wolfe (Kareem Hassan-Smith 69’), Will Lancaster, Jordan Helliwell; Aiden Marsh (Keegan Hartley 60’), Cameron Thompson (Jack Sherlock 74’), Fabio Jalo.

Subs Not Used: Rogan Ravenhill, Daniel Benson.

Advertisement block