Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-3 Sheffield United: Match Report

18 September 2021

Hull City suffered defeat against Sheffield United, losing 3-1 at the MKM Stadium.

Despite Keane Lewis-Potter netting for the Tigers, a brace by John Egan and a header from Billy Sharp secured the Blades all three points in the SkyBet Championship.

Grant McCann made one change to the starting XI that faced Blackburn Rovers in midweek, with George Moncur coming in for Greg Docherty. For the opposition, the Blades made a last-minute starting change as Rhian Brewster replaced Sander Berge, who was injured in the warm-up.

The Tigers started the brighter of the two teams as Matt Smith volleyed an effort over, while Mallik Wilks saw his header held by Robin Olsen. At the other end, Jacob Greaves did well to block Brewster’s effort.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 17th minute as Morgan Gibbs-White picked out Sharp at the back post, who converted from close range. Moncur searched for an equaliser immediately, but his effort was well blocked by Egan.

Both goalkeepers then produced decent saves as Matt Ingram denied Gibbs-White and Brewster, in between Olsen parrying Richard Smallwood’s long-range effort. Moncur’s set-pieces created opportunities for the Tigers as Di’Shon Bernard headed narrowly wide, before Lewie Coyle volleyed over from the edge of the penalty area.

Sheffield United received a penalty towards the end of the first half as Greaves was adjudged to have fouled Sharp, according to referee Dean Whitestone. The striker stepped up himself, but Ingram guessed the correct way as he pushed the spot-kick around the right-hand post.

The Blades doubled their lead five minutes into the second half as Egan headed in from a Conor Hourihane delivery, before the defender netted his brace ten minutes later. After Ingram pushed Gibbs-White’s effort over the bar, Egan headed in at the front post from the resulting corner to score the Blades’ third.

McCann made a substitution on 70 minutes with Tyler Smith replacing Moncur, and the substitute made an immediate impact by crossing a low ball at the back post for Lewis-Potter to convert from close range. The forward then thought he had scored a second for the Tigers just moments later, but his effort was ruled out for offside. 

There were opportunities late on into the fixture for both teams as Coyle fired his left-footed shot over the bar, before Ingram produced a good save to push away Oli McBurnie’s low drive.


Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle, Di’Shon Bernard, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Richard Smallwood (C), George Moncur (Tyler Smith 70’), Matt Smith (Andy Cannon 46’); Mallik Wilks, Josh Magennis (George Honeyman 46’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs not used: Nathan Baxter, Josh Emmanuel, Ryan Longman, Sean McLoughlin.


Sheffield United: Robin Olsen; George Baldock, John Egan, Ben Davies (Chris Basham 85’), Rhys Norrington-Davies; John Fleck, Conor Hourihane (Adlène Guedioura 65’), Morgan Gibbs-White; Rhian Brewster, Billy Sharp (C) (Oli McBurnie 75’), Ben Osborn.

Subs not used: Wes Foderingham, Oliver Norwood, Jayden Bogle, Iliman Ndiaye.


Attendance: 14,461

Advertisement block