Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton Athletic 1-0 Hull City: Match Report

9 May 2021

League One Champions Hull City suffered a first defeat since February as they went down to a 1-0 defeat at Charlton Athletic on the final day of the season.

An unfortunate own goal from Jacob Greaves saw the Tigers' 14-match unbeaten run come to an end on the day that Grant McCann's side lifted the League One trophy.

McCann made two changes to the side that claimed the League One title against Wigan Athletic eight days earlier. Regan Slater stepped up from the bench to take the place of Richie Smallwood who was amongst the substitutes, while Gavin Whyte came in for the injured George Honeyman to play in the number ten role. There was also a spot on the bench for 18-year-old Academy midfielder Harry Wood who featured in a matchday squad for a league fixture for the first time.

Charlton, including former Tigers boss Nigel Adkins and goalkeeper Ben Watson, formed a guard of honour to welcome the League One Champions onto the field ahead of kick-off on what was almost a perfect day for the final game of the season - warm and sunny.

The home side were hoping that it wouldn't be their final game of the campaign but they were almost opened up inside the opening three minutes when Greg Docherty slipped a ball through for Whyte who saw a low goal-bound shot from eight yards blocked.

Further early pressure from the visitors saw Whyte play Josh Magennis through on goal but his effort was kept out by an outstretched leg from Amos, while a Lewie Coyle cross from the right almost dropped in at the far post.

Liam Millar fired high and wide of Matt Ingram's goal with Charlton's first real shot in anger midway through the half, while at the other end a low shot from Mallik Wilks was taken in by Amos.

A foul on Callum Elder brought a yellow card for Alex Gilbey and left the left back needing treatment by the touchline. The treatment didn't work, and Elder was replaced by Josh Emmanuel who went to right back with Coyle switching over to the left.

The physios were being kept busy with Jacob Greaves needing treatment just a few moments after Elder's departure, although the centre back was fine to continue.

Conor Washington sent an effort wide after a classy first touch inside the box, although Greaves took credit for putting the forward under pressure six yards out, while Gilbey was also just off target with a low drive a minute before half time.

Jayden Stockley's header from a Millar cross clipped the woodwork on its way over the bar and Millar was just off target with an effort of his own early in the second half, with Whyte seeing a shot deflected wide at the other end.

Dan Crowley replaced Keane Lewis-Potter 12 minutes into the second half as Whyte moved out to the left-hand side before Charlton created another chance for Stockley but again he headed over.

Docherty picked up a booking after pulling back Millar on halfway before Charlton took the lead 15 minutes from time when Ingram parried a cross against the unfortunate Jacob Greaves who saw the ball trickle over the line for an own goal.

A triple change saw Wood, James Scott and Richie Smallwood replace Slater, Magennis and Docherty with ten minutes remaining and Wood picked up a debut caution as the game wound down.

Charlton Athletic: Ben Amos, Akin Famewo, Jayden Stockley, Alex Gilbey, Conor Washington (Chuks Aneke 57), Adam Matthews, Albie Morgan, Ian Maatsen, Ryan Inniss, Ben Watson (Andrew Shinnie 69), Liam Millar.

Subs Not Used: Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Chris Gunter, Jason Pearce, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Darren Pratley.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle (C), Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder (Josh Emmanuel 34); Regan Slater (Harry Wood 80), Greg Docherty (Richie Smallwood 80); Mallik Wilks, Gavin Whyte, Keane Lewis-Potter (Daniel Crowley 57); Josh Magennis (James Scott 80).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Reece Burke.

Referee: Mr M. Coy.

Advertisement block