Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury Town 1-1 Hull City: Match Report

20 March 2021

Hull City came from behind to draw 1-1 at Shrewsbury Town on Saturday afternoon.

Matt Ingram's unfortunate own goal had handed the hosts the advantage early in the second half, but Greg Docherty's delightful finish just after the hour mark saw the Tigers take a point as their five-match winning run came to an end.

With Peterborough United, Sunderland and Lincoln City also drawing this weekend, it means the Tigers are three points clear at the top of the table.

It was a case of 'same again' as Grant McCann named exactly the same starting eleven and bench as he had done for the win against Oxford United seven days earlier. There was a familiar name in the Shrewsbury line-up as well with Matthew Pennington, who spent the 2019/20 season on loan with the Tigers, forming part of their back four.

Kick-off was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of former Shrewsbury player Steve Jagielka who sadly passed away during the week at the age of just 43.

It was a quiet start, although there was an early moment of promise as Keane Lewis-Potter went down the left wing but his cross was straight into the hands of Matija Sarkic.

In terms of goal-scoring chances, though, there was nothing of note until the 27th minute when Josh Vela tested Ingram with a low shot to the goalkeeper's near post.

Ingram was also tested from range by Shaun Whalley but it had been a real stop-start encounter for much of the first half, with plenty of free kicks given although the players could have few complaints.

McCann made a change to his attacking line-up at half time as Josh Magennis replaced Gavin Whyte.

It was Shrewsbury that took the lead in the 53rd minute. A Jacob Greaves foul 20 yards out gave the home side a free kick and, when Nathanael Ogbeta's set-piece came back off the crossbar, it hit the unfortunate Ingram and rebounded into the net.

George Honeyman picked up a yellow card, as did Head Coach McCann for something he said from the sidelines, as the away side struggled to get an real momentum going in the game.

However, the Tigers levelled with their first shot on target. It came in the 62nd minute as Docherty saw one effort with his left foot blocked and a second, with his right, curl into the top corner of the net from 20 yards out.

It was a goal that brought a new energy to McCann's men with Magennis seeing a volley blocked inside the area and Greaves sending a header wide from Callum Elder's corner.

Shrewsbury were still a threat, though, and Ingram had to get down well to turn a Whalley effort wide, before David Davis picked up a yellow for bringing down Magennis midway inside the Shrews' half and then Oliver Norburn was cautioned for a heavy challenge on Honeyman.

A second change for the visitors saw Daniel Crowley replace Lewis-Potter with 15 minutes remaining, while another yellow card came out for Vela's foul on Honeyman.

Tom Eaves replaced Mallik Wilks in the closing moments but there would be no further chances for a winner as it ended 1-1.

Shrewsbury Town: Matija Sarkic, Matthew Pennington, Ro-Shaun Williams, Brad Walker (David Davis 31), Ethan Ebanks-Landell, Nathanael Ogbeta, Josh Vela, Oliver Norburn (David Edwards 80), Joshua Daniels, Shaun Whalley (Harry Chapman 80), Daniel Udoh (Curtis Main 73).

Subs Not Used: Harry Burgoyne, Sean Goss, Rekeil Pyke.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle (C), Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Alfie Jones, Greg Docherty, George Honeyman; Gavin Whyte (Josh Magennis 46), Keane Lewis-Potter (Daniel Crowley 75), Mallik Wilks (Tom Eaves 90).

Subs Not Used: George Long, James Scott, Josh Emmanuel, Regan Slater.

Referee: Mr G. Ward.

Advertisement block