Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Peterborough United 1-3 Hull City: Match Report

9 March 2021

Hull City came out on top in the battle of Sky Bet League One's top two sides as they earned a 3-1 win at Peterborough United.

After a shaky start, in which the hosts took an eighth-minute lead, the Tigers got themselves level through a Reece Burke header before going on to take control of the game after United were reduced to ten men just before half time. Keane Lewis-Potter put Grant McCann's side ahead early in the second half, with Mallik Wilks sealing the win from the penalty spot on the hour as he netted his 20th goal of the campaign.

The win meant the Tigers moved three points clear of Peterborough at the top of the table.

There was just one change to the side that beat Bristol Rovers at the weekend. With Josh Magennis absent, Lewis-Potter came back into the starting eleven while James Scott came into the squad on the bench.

Lewis-Potter played down the middle, but the eyes were at the other end of the field in the opening couple of minutes as a dangerous low ball across the face of goal from Joe Ward was knocked behind for a corner, which produced a good chance for Nathan Thompson at the far post but he directed just wide of the post.

And it was Peterborough that took an early lead. Dan Butler's ball in from the left wasn't dealt with convincingly, and when a Jacob Greaves half-clearance landed at the feet of Reece Brown he applied the low finish from ten yards.

Matt Ingram was forced to turn away Ward's shot as the home side continued to dominate the opening exchanges, but the Tigers got themselves back on level terms in the 21st minute. Wilks won a free kick and, when George Honeyman delivered, Burke sent a looping header beyond goalkeeper Christy Pym.

Direct running from Gavin Whyte down the left ended with a dangerous low cross being blocked, while United's Hamilton picked up a booking for his challenge on Honeyman.

Ingram made a diving save to keep out Frankie Kent's long-range effort, leading to a succession of corners for the Posh but the Tigers dealt with each one.

Peterborough were reduced to ten men four minutes before half time as Hamilton was shown a second yellow following a late tackle on Lewie Coyle, and there was time for the visitors to almost take advantage before the interval but Honeyman sent an effort over the bar after being teed up by Coyle. The home side then went close deep into added time when Ward's deflected free kick came back off Ingram's right-hand post.

The Tigers made a quick start to the second half and took the lead in the 49th minute. Greg Docherty slipped a ball through to Callum Elder on the left edge of the box and, when he crossed, Lewis-Potter guided the ball into the net.

It was a goal that meant, to a certain extent, the visitors could control play and they did just that as they waited for their moment to pounce to make it 3-1 on the hour. This time it came from the penalty spot as Honeyman nipped in to dispossess Kent and tempted the defender into bringing him down just inside the box. Wilks stepped up and confidently sent Pym the wrong way to net his 20th goal of the season in all competitions.

A first change saw Tom Eaves replace Whyte, while a second substitution saw James Scott replace Lewis-Potter.

With Peterborough throwing men forward, the visitors had to make a couple of important blocks on the edge of their own box but it also meant space to get in behind the home side at the other end of the field with Eaves sending an effort high over that bar.

Peterborough United: Christy Pym, Dan Butler, Nathan Thompson, Mark Beevers, Frankie Kent, Jonson Clarke-Harris (Ricky-Jade Jones 83), Siriki Dembele, Reece Brown, Sammie Szmodics (Niall Mason 46), Ethan Hamilton, Joe Ward (Harrison Burrows 72).

Subs Not Used: Daniel Gyollai, Mohamed Eisa, Louis Reed, Idris Kanu.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle (c), Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Alfie Jones, Greg Docherty, George Honeyman; Mallik Wilks, Keane Lewis-Potter (James Scott 83), Gavin Whyte (Tom Eaves 67).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Josh Emmanuel, Regan Slater, Daniel Crowley, Andy Smith.

Referee: Mr J. Busby.

Advertisement block