Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Scunthorpe United 0-1 Hull City: Match Report

24 July 2021

Hull City saw off Scunthorpe United at the Sands Venue Stadium thanks to a stunning strike from Andy Cannon.

Despite taking charge of the day’s opening game against Mansfield Town, Head Coach Grant McCann managed to make it in time thanks to the delayed kick-off time.

It was the first time since March 2020 that the Tigers were able to have an away following – 504 days ago the last.

After a quiet opening five minutes, the Tigers started to grow into the game and managed to create the game’s opening chances.

The first of them saw Ryan Longman cut in past Tom Pugh before firing a harmless shot over the top of Rory Watson’s goal.

The Tigers heaped on further pressure from the left when Thomas Mayer’s cross found the head of Tom Eaves, his header however was cleared before it was able to reach the Scunthorpe goal.

James Scott was then nearly rewarded for his persistent pressing high up the pitch.

His left-footed strike curled just wide of the target after he had stolen the ball from a Scunthorpe defender.

After a quiet opening to the half, Neil Cox’s team started to grow into the game towards the break and came close to taking the lead thanks to a free-kick from Trialist A.

The Trialist beat the wall with his attempt, but Nathan Baxter had it covered and the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Grant McCann made one change at the break, with youngster Harry Wood replacing Tom Huddlestone in midfield.

The home side made a couple of changes, Tyrone O’Neill being one of those and the forward came close to taking the lead just minutes after entering the pitch.

He picked up the ball on the edge of the area before firing a low drive that was kept out thanks to a low save from Baxter.

Lewis Thompson then went close when he picked up the ball on the left, before striking a powerful effort that flashed just wide of the post.

The Tigers responded well, though, and came close with a chance soon after.

Scott looped a header over the crossbar after beating his man to find Josh Emmanuel’s precise ball into the box.

With 20 minutes to go, the game started to open up and it nearly saw the home side break the deadlock.

A cross from Mason O’Malley ended up at the back post where George Taft was waiting to convert, only for Baxter to deny his header from point-blank range.

The Tigers responded to that chance with a couple of efforts of their own.

Andy Cannon’s neat exchange with Scott saw the goal open up for the summer signing but he could only direct his effort wide of the post.

Moments later, the lively Longman stung the palms of Watson after cutting in from the left.

This build-up of pressure then resulted in the breakthrough for the away side five minutes from time.

Longman teed up Cannon from range and the midfielder struck a delightful effort beyond the reach of Tom Collins.

Chances from Tom Eaves and Harry Wood followed but the scoreline remained 1-0 and the Tigers managed to hold on for victory.



Hull City: Nathan Baxter; Josh Emmanuel (C), Festus Arthur, Sean McLoughlin, Jake Leake; Andy Cannon, Tom Huddlestone (Harry Wood 45), Thomas Mayer (Macauley Snelgrove 17); Ryan Longman, James Scott, Tom Eaves.

Advertisement block