Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-2 Mansfield Town: Match Report

24 July 2021

Hull City were beaten by Mansfield Town in a pre-season friendly in front of almost 2,000 supporters at the MKM Stadium.

It was the first time since March 2020 that the Tigers faithful had been able to watch their team live – 504 days ago.

Grant McCann’s side – sporting the club’s stylish new home strip – received a warm ovation from the returning fans.

After a quiet opening quarter of an hour, the Tigers created a host of chances in quick succession.

Keane Lewis-Potter jinked to the byline and stood up a cross to the far post, where Josh Magennis headed straight at Stags stopper George Shelvey.

A lovely move involving the lively Lewis-Potter and new-boy George Moncur resulted in fellow summer signing Randell Williams firing over from 18 yards.

Brandon Fleming shot tamely at Shelvey, Moncur’s curler flew wide of the far top corner and Lewis-Potter couldn’t get enough purchase on his effort after a mazy dribble.

Nigel Clough’s visitors - who saw two earlier attempts from Stephen Quinn and Danny Johnson easily saved by Matt Ingram - opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark.

Quinn’s drive was handled by Lewie Coyle inside the area, with Johnson tucking away the resulting penalty, sending Ingram the wrong way with a stroked left-footed effort.

Mansfield twice went close to extending their advantage. First, Rhys Oates’ driven near-post strike was diverted behind by a combination of Ingram’s right hand and the base of the upright.

Johnson then raced clean through on goal but Ingram produced a fine one-handed stop to his left.

Coyle looked to make amends, sending in an inviting half-volleyed cross which a diving Shelvey gathered before curling a left-footed effort wide.

Grant McCann made a double change at the break, with youngsters Andy Smith and Olly Green replacing Alfie Jones and Greg Docherty.

But Mansfield doubled their lead ten minutes into the second half as Johnson headed home ex-Tiger Quinn’s pinpoint centre from close range.

The Tigers looked to hit back, with Fleming’s deflected drive brushing the top of the netting.

Lewis-Potter twisted one way and the other before hitting a fizzing shot which Shelvey pushed unconvincingly up into the air, with the ball fortuitously dropping onto the top of the bar.

Josh Magennis reduced the arrears with 17 minutes remaining as he powered home a header from Matty Jacob’s accurate left-wing cross – just moments away the youngster had entered the field.

The hosts were now pushing and Williams should done better after receiving Coyle’s cut-back but took too long, allowing a defender to block his eventual effort.

Shelvey emerged as Mansfield’s hero in the closing stages, making an impressive double save to first keep out Magennis and then palm Moncur’s follow-up effort over the bar.

Green’s crisp drive stung the palms of the visiting custodian as the Stags held on for victory.


Hull City: Ingram; Coyle, Jones (Smith 45’), Greaves, Fleming (Jacob 71’); Smallwood, Docherty (Green 45’), Moncur; Lewis-Potter, Magennis, Williams.


Attendance: 1,862 (250 Mansfield)

Advertisement block