Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sunderland 1-1 Hull City: Match Report

9 January 2021

Reece Burke scored his third goal of the season as Hull City were forced to settle for a point at Sunderland.

The 24-year-old capitalised on a mistake from Sunderland keeper Lee Burge to give the Tigers a 13th-minute lead but Aiden McGeady levelled with a header eight minutes later.

Tom Eaves missed two good first-half chances, hitting the bar with a header, as the visitors played out just their second league draw of the campaign.

Grant McCann made one change from the win against Charlton, Burke replacing Hakeeb Adelakun after the winger was recalled from his loan spell by parent club Bristol City.

Burke partnered Jacob Greaves at centre-half, with Alfie Jones moved into midfield and ex-Sunderland skipper George Honeyman deployed on the right of a three-pronged attack.

The Tigers had originally been scheduled to travel to Wigan, only for the match to be suspended due to a Covid-19 outbreak in the Latics camp.

With the Wearsiders’ game also off, the two clubs opted to reschedule the postponed Boxing Day fixture, with the Sky Sports cameras in attendance at the Stadium of Light.

There was a lengthy early stoppage after Burge was caught by Mallik Wilks when smothering a loose ball at the forward’s feet.

Burge was able to continue but had a moment to forget as Hull City went ahead with 13 minutes elapsed.

Honeyman’s fizzing free-kick delivery was fumbled badly by the Black Cats stopper, the ball dropping for Burke to steer home from six yards.

The Tigers had done most of the early running but were pegged back on 21 minutes after switching off from a set-piece.

Grant Leadbitter’s quickly-taken clipped free-kick caught the visitors napping as Jack Diamond stood up a fine lofted cross towards McGeady, who rose highest to head into the bottom corner.

It was a soft goal to concede but Hull City should have been back in front five minutes later.

Mallik Wilks’ delightful first-time cross picked out Tom Eaves unmarked but the striker planted his header against the top of the bar.

Eaves should have done better and was unfortunate not to score with another headed chance 10 minutes before the break.

Wilks was again the provider, whipping a pinpoint cross towards the far post, but Eaves' close-range header was repelled brilliantly by a flying Burge to his right.

The ex-Gillingham man’s evening was then cut short due to injury, with Josh Magennis taking his place.

The Tigers’ finishing continued to be wasteful heading into the second half, Wilks profiting on a ricochet before slicing wildly wide.

A gilt-edge chance for Sunderland went begging on 57 minutes as Max Power drilled in a low cross which Charlie Wyke was somehow unable to turn home from point-blank range.

Wilks saw an effort blocked following a smartly-worked short corner routine involving Honeyman and Greg Docherty before firing tamely at sub keeper Remi Matthews after a surging run.

George Long was forced to tip over a Diamond cross that was sneaking under the bar, with chances in short supply in a tight second half.

Hull City could have snatched the victory in added time when Wilks found space inside the area but his driven near-post effort was parried by Matthews.


Sunderland: Lee Burge (Remi Matthews 45’), Conor McLaughlin (Lynden Gooch 45’), Bailey Wright, Max Power ©, Charlie Wyke (Danny Graham 76’), Josh Scowen, Dion Sanderson, Jack Diamond (Chris Maguire 76’), Grant Leadbitter, Callum McFadzean, Aiden McGeady (Elliot Embleton 76’).

Subs: Aiden O’Brien, Oliver Younger.


Hull City: George Long; Josh Emmanuel, Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Brandon Fleming (Callum Elder 83’); Richie Smallwood ©, Alfie Jones (Keane Lewis-Potter 66’), Greg Docherty; George Honeyman, Tom Eaves (Josh Magennis 41’), Mallik Wilks.

Subs: Matt Ingram, Lewie Coyle, Regan Slater, Thomas Mayer.

Advertisement block