Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-0 Swindon Town: Match Report

30 January 2021

Hull City moved back to the top of the Sky Bet League One table with a 1-0 victory over Swindon Town at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday.

Greg Docherty's goal after just five minutes proved to be enough for the Tigers, who climbed back above Lincoln City on goal difference.

Grant McCann made two changes to his starting eleven following the midweek defeat at Accrington Stanley. Reece Burke came into the back four with Alfie Jones moving into midfield as Richie Smallwood dropped to the bench, while Dan Crowley made his first start as Josh Magennis also found himself amongst the substitutes. Lewie Coyle captained the side.

It didn't take Crowley long to produce a key moment as the Tigers took the lead in the fifth minute. The man on loan from Birmingham City played a clever ball to George Honeyman on the right edge of the Swindon box and, when he cut the ball back, Docherty was there to rifle a shot high into the net from eight yards.

A superb ball over the top from Callum Elder had Keane Lewis-Potter hunting a second goal a few minutes later but he was denied by a fine save from Mark Travers in the County goal and, from the resulting corner, Jacob Greaves went close with a header that he claimed was blocked by a Swindon hand.

Another good move involving Elder, started by Docherty, almost brought a chance at the near post for Lewis-Potter but the ball was knocked behind for a corner which saw Greaves again threaten but this time his far post header was comfortably saved by Travers.

Crowley sent an effort just over the bar following some nice link-up play with Honeyman as the home side continued to dominate, although it needed a timely intervention from Greaves to deny Tyler Smith an equaliser ten minutes before half time.

Into the second half and Docherty saw a low shot pushed away by Travers at the end of neat move, while Honeyman required treatment after a heavy challenge left him on the ground. Swindon's Jordan Lyden was booked for the foul.

Jones limped off to be replaced by Smallwood as the game headed towards its final 20 minutes, while a second change saw Magennis come on for Crowley.

Honeyman's lofted cross was directed over the bar by Wilks and Docherty was just off target from the edge of the box as McCann's side looked for the goal that would kill the game but it wasn't forthcoming and George Long was forced into a save by Jack Payne at the other end.

A further two changes saw Billy Chadwick and James Scott replace Wilks and Lewis-Potter, and one goal proved to be enough to nudge the Tigers back ahead of Lincoln City on goal difference.

Hull City: George Long; Lewie Coyle (c), Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Alfie Jones (Richie Smallwood 68), Greg Docherty, George Honeyman; Mallik Wilks (Billy Chadwick 87), Dan Crowley (Josh Magennis 73), Keane Lewis-Potter (James Scott 87).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Josh Emmanuel, Regan Slater.

Swindon Town: Mark Travers, Dion Conroy, Diallang Jaiyesimi, Tyler Smith (Brett Pitman 75), Scott Twine (Jack Payne 79), Kieron Freeman, Conor Masterson, Jordan Lyden, Matty Palmer, Dominic Thompson, Hallam Hope (Tyrese Omotoye 84).

Subs Not Used: Akinwale Odimayo, Taylor Curran, Robert Hunt, Anthony Grant.

Referee: Mr T. Kettle.

Advertisement block