Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 3-0 Accrington Stanley: Match Report

19 January 2021

Hull City moved back to the top of Sky Bet League One with a 3-0 home victory over Accrington Stanley on Tuesday evening.

Mallik Wilks opened the scoring in the first half before the Tigers took the game away from their opponents after the break as Gavin Whyte scored his first for the Club and Josh Magennis tucked away a penalty. The win saw Grant McCann's side go back into first place, ahead of Lincoln City on goal difference.
McCann made three changes to the eleven that started against Blackpool at the weekend. Alfie Jones came in at centre back in place of the suspended Reece Burke, whilst Keane Lewis-Potter returned to the starting line-up with Magennis dropping down to the bench. A third change saw Lewie Coyle start at right back in place of Josh Emmanuel. Emmanuel was named amongst the substitutes, as were recent signings Jordan Flores and Dan Crowley.

The Tigers applied some early pressure and only a well-timed challenge from Stanley defender Cameron Burgess denied Mallik Wilks a strike at goal from eight yards out.

Wilks then fired over the bar after George Honeyman’s ball over the top had sent him into the box before the game entered a period where both sides struggled to get fully on top.

Great play in the middle of the park from Wilks brought a pass for Lewis-Potter but his cut-back towards Greg Docherty at the near post was snuffed out by a defender, but the Tigers did take the lead in the 37th minute. Some lovely skill from Lewis-Potter on the edge of the box bought him the space to poke the ball through to Wilks on the right edge of the box and he did the rest by beating goalkeeper Nathan Baxter with a low finish at his near post.

Wilks sent a shot straight at Baxter as the home side threatened to add a second, and Wilks was almost in again but Ross Sykes made a last-ditch challenge to take it away from him as the Tigers took a one-goal lead into the break.
Honeyman sliced an effort wide early in the second half after Whyte’s cross had only been partially cleared, while Jacob Greaves knocked a shot wide when on the end of a cross from the right.

The Tigers did double their lead ten minutes into the second half, though. A ball over the top set Wilks away and, although his effort was saved by Baxter, Whyte followed up with a finish high into the net.

Accrington went close to pulling a goal back when a header deflected just wide of George Long’s left-hand post, while a looping header from Sykes landed on the roof of the net.

The first substitutions of the evening brought a first appearance for Crowley as he replaced Whyte. Magennis also entered the action in place of Lewis-Potter.

No sooner had that happened and the Tigers were awarded a penalty when Greaves was hauled down inside the box as he tried to get on the end of a free kick delivery. Burgess was sent off with it being his second bookable offence. Magennis, with his first touch, side-footed the penalty into the net for 3-0.
Wilks and Crowley went close to increasing the lead before Flores came on for his first appearance in black and amber when he replaced Richie Smallwood. Regan Slater was also brought on, with Honeyman making way and a final change saw Emmanuel come on for Greg Docherty.
Further chances came the home side's way with Crowley sending a shot wide and Wilks blazing high over the bar, but McCann's men had done more than enough for the three points.
Hull City: George Long; Lewie Coyle, Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Richie Smallwood © (Jordan Flores 77), Greg Docherty (Josh Emmanuel 81), George Honeyman (Regan Slater 77); Gavin Whyte (Daniel Crowley 65), Mallik Wilks, Keane Lewis-Potter (Josh Magennis 65).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Sean McLoughlin.

Accrington Stanley: Nathan Baxter, Michael Nottingham, Mark Hughes, Cameron Burgess, Ross Sykes (Steven Sama 77), Matt Butcher, Joe Pritchard (Gary Roberts 77), Sean McConville (Rhys Fenlon 77), Colby Bishop (Jon Russell 81), Seamus Conneely, Dion Charles (Tariq Uwakwe 81).

Subs Not Used: Toby Savin, Ben Barclay.

Referee: Mr D. Rock.

Advertisement block