Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U23s 4-3 Peterborough United U23s: Match Report

14 December 2021

Hull City U23s edged a seven-goal thriller at the LNER Community Stadium, defeating Peterborough United U23s 4-3.

A brace from Tyler Smith and finishes from Matt Smith and Randell Williams helped the Tigers secure all three points in the Professional Development League.

Tony Pennock took the managerial reigns and named a strong side to face Peterborough United. First-teamers Andy Cannon, George Moncur, Williams, Matt Smith and Tyler Smith all started, while Brandon Fleming made his return from injury. Festus Arthur and Andy Smith also featured, while Jevon Mills captained the side.

It took the Tigers just six minutes to open the scoring as Matt Smith drilled a low shot from range into the far corner. However, Peterborough immediately equalised through Joseph Taylor just two minutes later with a low shot that found the bottom corner. 

Fleming went close moments later with a driven effort that flashed narrowly wide, before Tyler Smith restored the Tigers’ lead with a clinical finish inside the box. Kobe Chong then had two attempts saved by Harvey Cartwright, before Williams could only strike wide after the Tigers won the ball high up the pitch.

Cartwright was being kept busy in the City goal as he denied Taylor one-on-one, before he pushed away Kai Corbett’s free-kick and held on to Gyamfi’s rebound. However, there was nothing Cartwright could do for Peterborough’s second equaliser as Corbett’s stunning free-kick from range hit the underside of the bar before finding the back of the net.

Both teams had chances to take the lead as Tyler Smith saw his low shot saved by the feet of Will Blackmore, while Taylor fired an initial strike wide before seeing a second effort held by Cartwright. The Tigers took the lead on the stroke of half-time as Williams cut inside from the right wing before placing his left-footed effort into the bottom corner.

Chong searched for a third equaliser for Peterborough early in the second half, but his effort was caught by Cartwright, before Tyler Smith scored his brace and the Tigers’ fourth with a first-time finish. Fleming pushed for a fifth, but his curling effort went over the bar, before the visitors reduced the deficit to one as Taylor clinically finished his one-on-one effort.

The next chance of the game fell to Cannon, but his powerful effort was pushed over the bar by Blackmore. In the other goal, Cartwright acrobatically denied Corbett’s looping header, before McCauley Snelgrove drilled a low effort wide for the Tigers.

Peterborough almost got a share of the points in injury time as Andrew Oluwabori picked out the run of Corbett at the back post, but Cartwright denied him twice in quick succession as the Tigers secured the victory.


Hull City: Harvey Cartwright; Andy Smith, Jevon Mills (C), Festus Arthur; Randell Williams, Andy Cannon, Matt Smith, Brandon Fleming (Jake Leake 71’); George Moncur, Tyler Smith (Tom Nixon 59’), Will Jarvis (McCauley Snelgrove 78’).

Subs Not Used: David Robson, Oliver Green.


Peterborough United: Will Blackmore; Ethan Bojang, Emmanuel Fernandez, Charlie O’Connell, Oscar Tonge; Kyle Barker (C), Kobe Chong (Roddy McGlinchey 57’), Luke Harris; Johnson Gyamfi (Kellan Dickinson 71’), Kai Corbett, Joseph Taylor (Andrew Oluwabori 80’).

Subs Not Used: Matthew Laycock, Connor Peters.

Advertisement block