Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U18s 5-1 Wigan Athletic U18s: Match Report

20 December 2021

Hull City U18s ended 2021 with a clinical performance, defeating 10-man Wigan Athletic U18s 5-1 at Bishop Burton College.

A brace from an unnamed trialist, an own goal and finishes from Henry Curtis and Jake Brown secured the Tigers all three points in the Professional Development League.

John Anderson made five changes to the starting XI that were beaten narrowly in the FA Youth Cup third round against Crewe Alexandra last time out. Two unnamed trialists featured, while Ben Voase replaced Tom Macauley between the sticks. Rio Dyer and Sam Deacon also came into the team to replace Keegan Green and Brown, who dropped to the bench.

The visitors came very close to scoring within three minutes as Kai Payne’s curler hit the right-hand post, before Voase pushed away Adam Brooks’ cross-shot.

Curtis then broke the deadlock on 15 minutes. After good passing play between Dyer and Billy Leach, the latter drilled a low cross at the back post for Curtis to convert from close range.

Wigan tried to respond through Payne, but his deflected effort was parried by Voase, before the rebound from Ruben Grewal was blocked. On the half-hour mark, the visitors were reduced to 10 men as Steven Sumner was adjudged to have been the last man after Sincere Hall drew the foul from the defender.

From that moment, Anderson’s side created the majority of chances as Hall tested Tom Watson in the Wigan goal, before the Tigers doubled their lead through Trialist B. Dyer and Leach linked up again to feed the overlapping run of James Carr. The defender picked out Curtis at the far post, who in turn headed the ball back across for the trialist to head home.

It took the Tigers two minutes into the second half to extend their lead as Leach’s low cross, aimed for both Hall and Curtis, deflected off a Wigan defender into the back of the net. Trialist B searched for a fourth, but his first effort flew over the bar before his second strike was blocked by Payne.

Both goalkeepers were called into action as Watson parried Curtis’ shot, while Voase pushed Kyle Worsley’s attempt over the bar. Watson then bravely denied Hall from close range, before Trialist B scored the Tigers’ fourth after he placed his effort into the bottom corner following good hold-up play from the striker.

Straight from the kick-off, Voase was called into action to deny Levi Welsh while both Leach and Curtis forced saves from Watson. The Wigan goalkeeper then acrobatically flicked Brown’s first-time shot around the post, before the Latics pulled a goal back through Payne’s header, after he connected with Welsh’s free-kick delivery.

Brown added a fifth late on as he clinically finished from close range, before Watson denied a Tigers’ sixth in stoppage time with a brilliant low save. 


Hull City: Ben Voase; James Carr, Trialist A, Alfie Taylor; Billy Leach, Sam Deacon (Keegan Green 66’), Harry Wallis ©, Henry Curtis; Sincere Hall, Rio Dyer, Trialist B (Jake Brown 66’).

Subs Not Used: George Wilson, Paul Iggulden, Mason Johnson.


Wigan Athletic: Tom Watson; Dan Smith (Jack Reilly 46’), Sam Owens, Steven Sumner, Luca Lotona; Kai Payne, Arthur Lomax ©, Ruben Grewal (Dan Welsby 74’); Kyle Worsley, Levi Welsh, Adam Brooks.

Subs Not Used: Matthew Lorran.

Advertisement block