Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-1 Wigan Athletic (Wigan Win On Pens): Match Report

10 August 2021

Hull City exited the Carabao Cup at the first round stage after being beaten 8-7 by Wigan Athletic in a penalty shoot-out at the MKM Stadium.

The shoot-out was brought about by a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes, with Keane Lewis-Potter cancelling out Stephen Humphrys opener in the second half.

Grant McCann made seven changes to the side that started at Preston three days earlier, with Jacob Greaves, Josh Emmanuel, George Moncur and Lewis-Potter remaining. Greaves wore the captain's armband, while Nathan Baxter, Di'Shon Bernard, Andy Cannon and Matt Smith all made their first competitive starts for the Club.

Wigan went close with a header from an early set-piece before Baxter had to make a save from Scott Smith after presenting the ball straight to the Wigan man.

Smith curled the home side's first effort of the night wide from the edge of the area 16 minutes in, while at the other end Baxter made a smart save to keep out a Humphrys header.

Former Tiger Will Keane nodded inches wide from a 27th-minute free kick that was delivered to him eight yards out, but a half light on genuine goal-scoring chances finished goalless.

Baxter saved from Humphrys early in the second half, but Humphrys would open the scoring in the 50th minute when pouncing on a loose ball six yards out after an initial effort had been kept out.

The Tigers hit back to level just five minutes later. Moncur's fine pass split Wigan's right back and centre-half and sent Lewis-Potter into the box, and the hometown boy picked out a beautiful right-footed finish into the far bottom corner.

A couple of changes around the hour mark saw Lewis-Potter and Greaves replaced by Will Jarvis and Andy Smith, with the captain's armband passing to Emmanuel.

Tom Eaves headed a Brandon Fleming corner into the side-netting and James Scott found a similar spot when blasting a Matt Smith pass goalwards as the home side looked to get themselves in front.

Bernard headed a good chance wide after Moncur and Fleming had worked a short corner before a final change from the home side saw Harry Wood come on for Moncur.

Wigan were still a threat and Keane saw a header come back off the woodwork with the game into its final 15 minutes.

Wood fired just wide from an Eaves nod-down but there would be no winner in 90 minutes and the game would be decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Penalty Shoot-Out (Taken at the South Stand end, Hull City take the first kick)

1-0: Eaves fires home

1-1: Keane brings Wigan level


2-1: Scott sends the goalkeeper the wrong way

2-2: Aasgaard goes straight down the middle


3-2: Wood finds the bottom corner with a low spot kick

3-3: Jordan Jones with a confident spot kick along the ground


4-3: Emmanuel high into the net

4-4: Massey sends Baxter the wrong way


5-4: Matt Smith rolls the ball in

5-5: Tom Naylor sends the shoot-out into suddent death


6-5: Jarvis sends the ball past the keeper

6-6: Wigan goalkeeper Jones brings it level


7-6: Fleming finds the net

7-7: Robinson keeps the game going


7-7: Bernard sends his spot kick high over the bar

7-8: Cousins sends Wigan through to the next round

Hull City: Nathan Baxter; Josh Emmanuel, Di'Shon Bernard, Jacob Greaves (C) (Andy Smith 61), Brandon Fleming; Matt Smith, Andy Cannon, George Moncur (Harry Wood 74); James Scott, Tom Eaves, Keane Lewis-Potter (Will Jarvis 61).

Subs Not Used: Harvey Cartwright, Tom Nixon, Josh Hinds, Olly Green.

Wigan Athletic: Jamie Jones, Max Power (Kieran Lloyd 68), Stephen Humphrys (Gavin Massey 68), Kell Watts (James Carragher 74), Jordan Cousins, Tom Naylor, Thelo Aasgaard, Luke Robinson, Jordan Jones, Scott Smith, Will Keane.

Subs Not Used: Ben Amos, Jack Whatmough, Charlie Wyke, Callum Lang.

Referee: Mr M. Coy.

Attendance: 4,139.

Advertisement block