Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U18s 3-2 Cardiff City U18s: Match Report

16 August 2021

Hull City U18s produced a stunning comeback from 2-0 down to secure an opening day win against Cardiff City in the Professional Development League.

A quick-fire brace from Jake Brown and a stoppage time winner from Glen Sani secured the young Tigers victory at Bishop Burton College.

Manager John Anderson named four first-year scholars in the starting XI, with an unnamed trialist featuring and second-year scholar Harry Wallis being named captain.

The Tigers had the first chance of the game as Billy Leach’s effort hit the side-netting after connecting with Keegan Green’s cross at the back post. Henry Curtis then drove down the left wing before squaring the ball back to Wallis on the edge of the penalty area, but his first-time effort curled narrowly wide past the post.

Tom Macauley then produced two stunning saves to deny Caleb Hughes before Morgan Wigley gave Cardiff the lead after converting the rebound from close range.

Cardiff found Macauley in inspired form as he parried Adam Coomer’s effort and denied Wigley one-on-one, before a combination of the City goalkeeper and defender Jevon Mills denied Hughes from close range.

Green searched for an equaliser before half-time, but his volleyed effort went wide, before Macauley produced another fantastic one-on-one save, denying James Crole with his feet.

Macauley saved another effort from Wigley at the start of the second half, before Cardiff doubled their lead in the 53rd minute through Hughes’ low shot.

Anderson made a change just past the hour mark, bringing on Kyle Fanning for Green and moving Brown to the left wing. That change proved crucial as Brown started the comeback with seven minutes left to play. A great team move saw Sani play Brown through on goal, with the winger delicately chipping Ben Coley as his effort found the far corner.

Brown then fired an effort wide from close range before scoring the equaliser in the 89th minute. Full-back James Carr tested Coley with a driven effort, and Brown was quickest to react to convert the rebound to secure his brace.

Straight from kick-off, Cardiff forced Macauley into another great save to push a long-range attempt over the bar, before Sani completed the comeback in the second minute of injury time by lobbing the onrushing Coley from long range.


Hull City: Tom Macauley (GK), James Carr, Henry Curtis, Harry Wallis ©, Jevon Mills, Trialist, Keegan Green (Kyle Fanning 65’), Sam Deacon, Glen Sani, Jake Brown, Billy Leach.

Subs Not Used: George Wilson (GK), Alfie Taylor, Mason Johnson, Ronnie Kelly.


Cardiff City: Ben Coley (GK), Calum Jones, Morgan Lewis, Dylan Lawlor (Joel Colwill 54’), Josh Rippon, Jac Clay, Cole Fleming (Charlie Crew 85’), Adam Coomer, James Crole, Caleb Hughes, Morgan Wrigley.

Subs Not Used: Jake Dennis (GK), Japhet Mpadi, Josh Beecher.

Advertisement block