Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Plymouth Argyle 0-3 Hull City: Match Report

10 April 2021

Hull City were in impressive form on the road once again on Saturday as they won 3-0 at Plymouth Argyle.

Keane Lewis-Potter opened the scoring early on at Home Park before Josh Magennis and Greg Docherty added further goals after the break as the Tigers claimed a second 3-0 win in less than a week. With Peterborough United also winning their game against Swindon Town, Grant McCann's men remain three points clear at the top however, with Sunderland suffering a home defeat to Charlton Athletic, there is now an eight-point gap to third place.

McCann named exactly the same starting eleven and bench from the 3-0 win against Northampton Town on Easter Monday, meaning that both Jacob Greaves and George Honeyman were in the side despite being taken off against the Cobblers.

Former Hull City youth player Will Aimson lined up in the Plymouth defence.

Ahead of kick-off both sides fell silent for two minutes following the passing of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

The Tigers were first to threaten when Plymouth failed to deal with Honeyman's early corner and, after the ball had been recycled, Lewis-Potter sent an effort past the angle of post and bar.

Kelland Watts collected a fourth-minute yellow card following a tussle with Mallilk Wilks, with Wilks then sending a shot from distance off target.

McCann's men were rewarded for their bright start with the opening goal 11 minutes in. Honeyman won a free kick just inside the Plymouth half and took it quickly to find Wilks. He drove towards the Plymouth box before finding Lewis-Potter to his left with a lovely pass, and KLP did the rest with a calm finish into the bottom corner.

The visitors kept on attacking with Wilks seeing an effort blocked and a near-post header from Honeyman's corner going wide.

Wilks went close again midway through the half with a header from Callum Elder's free kick that flashed past the post before Plymouth had their first opportunity when a foul by Jacob Greaves gave them a free kick 25 yards out but the defensive wall did its job when blocking Luke Jephcott's effort.

Docherty's low shot brought a save out of Michael Cooper in the home goal, while at the other end Matt Ingram's first save of the afternoon came when he pushed away Tyrese Fornah's effort.

Ingram then had to turn a Watts shot wide as Plymouth began to gain a foothold in the game, although it was the away side that went into the break with a lead.

Magennis sent a near-post header wide from Elder's corner early in the second half, but the Northern Ireland international would soon find himself on the scoresheet as he doubled his side's lead in the 58th minute. Honeyman nipped in to win possession from Jerome Opoku before playing Magennis into the box and he beat Cooper with a low finish.

Wilks went close to adding a third after showing some neat footwork inside the area before Magennis was almost in for his second of the afternoon but Cooper just got a hand to the ball to prevent the forward from rounding him.

A third goal came the Tigers' way in the 74th minute and it came from a move that was all about Docherty. The midfielder's driving run took him towards the Plymouth box before moving the ball left to Lewis-Potter. After taking a few touches on the left edge, he returned the ball to Docherty who sent a lovely side-footed finish past Cooper.

A triple change saw Josh Emmanuel, Daniel Crowley and Gavin Whyte come on to replace Lewie Coyle, Honeyman and Lewis-Potter, before Jacob Greaves went close to heading in from Elder's corner.

Tom Eaves replaced Magennis in the final ten minutes and, although a couple of half-chances would come along in the closing moments, the job was well and truly done.

Plymouth Argyle: Michael Cooper, Kelland Watts (Ben Reeves 75), Will Aimson, Joe Edwards, Danny Mayor, Tyrese Fornah (Lewis MacLeod 84), Niall Ennis (Klaidi Lolos 84), Adam Lewis, Jerome Opoku, Panutche Camara (Byron Moore 75), Luke Jephcott (Ryan Hardie 75).

Subs Not Used: Luke McCormick, Ollie Tomlinson.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle (C) (Josh Emmanuel 78), Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Regan Slater, Greg Docherty, George Honeyman (Daniel Crowley 78); Mallik Wilks, Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 82), Keane Lewis-Potter (Gavin Whyte 78).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Jordan Flores, Sean McLoughlin.

Referee: Mr B. Toner.

Advertisement block