Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U23s 2-0 Sheffield United U23s: Match Report

14 September 2020

Hull City Under-23s recorded a comfortable 2-0 victory over Sheffield United Under-23s at the KCOM Stadium on Monday evening.

Fresh from making their senior debuts last Tuesday in the EFL Trophy against Leicester City, Jordan Hickey, Jacob Greaves, Callum Jones and Billy Chadwick were amongst Andy Dawson’s starting XI.

The Tigers looked in a threatening mood early on as Matty Jacob scorched down the right wing before searching for Martin Samuelsen in the middle, but the Norwegian was only able to direct his shot over the bar under pressure.

After absorbing a wave of pressure from the visitors thanks to interventions from Jacob Greaves and Jake Leake, the Tigers set about opening the scoring.

The ball was played upfield to Samuelsen, who was able to spin past his man before sending the onrushing James Berry slicing through the heart of the Blades’ defence. The winger steadied himself before firing his effort past Amissah in the Sheffield United net.

A second goal nearly followed immediately for Andy Dawson’s side as Callum Jones’ cross was nearly met by James Berry, but the winger narrowly missed out on his brace as he rushed to connect with the dangerous cross.

Despite enjoying a quiet first-half between the sticks, David Robson was alert to the danger when a cross from the left deflected off Matty Jacob as the Tigers’ goalkeeper swiftly got down to his right to prevent Sheffield United from grabbing a lucky equaliser.

Callum Jones saw his effort bend wide of the far post following a good run from James Berry as the Tigers went into the break one goal to the good.

A couple of efforts shortly after the break came to nothing as Samuelsen saw his shot easily claimed, before Chadwick hammered his effort into the side netting from a rapid counter attack.

The Blades then threatened to equalise at one end before the Tigers looked to double their advantage at the other - a Sheffield United cross into the box fell for Berry, who raced upfield before laying it off for Hanson to find Sheaf, but the midfielder dragged his effort wide from range.

The hosts finally got their well-deserved second goal with fifteen minutes to go. Jordan Hickey collected the ball on the right before charging into the box and pulling it back for James Berry to dispatch the ball past Amissah into the bottom right to conclude a good night's work for Andy Dawson and his young Tigers.

Hull City: David Robson (GK), Matty Jacob, Jake Leake, Jordan Hickey (c), Jacob Greaves (Andy Smith 60’), Festus Arthur, James Berry, Callum Jones (Ryan Hanson 60’), Martin Samuelsen (Henri Kushwendi 60’), Max Sheaf, Billy Chadwick

Subs Not Used: Harrison Foulkes, Harry Wood.

Advertisement block