Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U18s 3-1 Sheffield Wednesday U18s: Match Report

26 September 2020

Hull City U18’s secured their first win of the season, defeating Sheffield Wednesday U18’s 3-1 at Bishop Burton College. Despite a late consolation from Fuad Sesay, a brace from Louis Beckett and converted penalty from Oliver Green helped register the Tigers their first points of the season.

John Anderson and Matt Hare made five changes to his starting eleven that were beaten 1-0 by Wigan Athletic last time out. Jake Leake, Harry Wallis, Will Jarvis, Luke Rees and McCauley Snelgrove were all replaced for Rio Dyer, McCauley Power, Harvey Carew, Josh Hinds and Green respectively.

The Tigers dominated the opening exchanges of the game and created some great opportunities. First, Hinds tested Alex Hare in the Sheffield goal, before the goalkeeper acrobatically denied Dyer’s cross-shot.

Carew then won the Tigers a spot-kick as he was brought down in the penalty area, following good attacking play on the right wing. Green stepped up and despite Hare getting a hand to his effort, dispatched his spot-kick into the far corner. 

Five minutes later and the Tigers doubled their lead as Carew picked out the run of Beckett and the midfielder fired his low shot into the bottom corner. Eight minutes later and Beckett produced almost an identical copy to his first as he scored the Tigers’ third. The midfielder connected with Harry Lovick’s cross and he volleyed his low finish past Hare to secure his brace.

Harry Fisk was then called into action by producing a great double save, first denying Alex Bonnington before gathering Basile Zottos’ rebound. Jevon Mills then blocked Paulo Aguas’ shot, while Hare denied Dyer one-on-one after the winger was released by Carew. The Sheffield goalkeeper then denied both Hinds and Carew with good saves, before Alfie Taylor blocked Bonnington’s effort.

In the second half, the visitors started the brightest as Fisk was forced into a great save to deny Zottos, before the winger’s rebound was blocked on the line by both Mills and Taylor. Bonnington then fired a shot over the bar, before Hare denied Beckett his hat-trick by tipping over the midfielder’s shot. 

Fisk again denied Sheffield as his fingertip save denied Luke Hall, before he then held Sesay’s attempt. In the other goal, Hinds and Dyer was denied by Hare in quick succession, before the Tigers survived a goalmouth scramble from Hall’s corner.

The visitors did score a consolation in injury-time as Sesay’s drive eluded the dive of Fisk, before Wallis curled a shot wide for the Tigers late-on as they secured their first win of the season.

Hull City: Harry Fisk (GK), Josh Ward, Harry Lovick, Louis Beckett, Jevon Mills, Alfie Taylor, Rio Dyer, McCauley Power (Harry Wallis 84’), Harvey Carew (Billy Leach 78’), Oliver Green (C), Josh Hinds (Luke Rees 86’).

Subs Not Used: Tom McCauley (GK).

Sheffield Wednesday: Alex Hare (GK), Charlie Curtis, Paulo Aguas (Fuad Sesay 54’), Corey Glaves (Filimon Asfah 39’) Josh Ashman, Luke Yates, Basile Zottos (Bailey Cadamarteri 64’), Jay Glover, Alex Bonnington, Will Trueman, Luke Hall.

Subs Not Used: Leojo Davidson, Jack Hall.

Advertisement block