Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U18s 0-1 Wigan Athletic U18s: Match Report

21 September 2020

Hull City U18’s suffered defeat in their first home U18 Professional Development League fixture, losing 1-0 against Wigan Athletic. A second-half finish from Charlie Hughes was enough to secure all three points for the visitors as the Tigers struggled to take their chances at Bishop Burton College.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game as Harry Fisk saved well from Millen Brown. The Tigers then had a host of chances as Alfie Taylor headed over from Harry Wallis’ corner, before Luke Rees headed wide after good build-up play on the right. Jevon Mills then hit the crossbar with his headed attempt after latching onto Jake Leake’s free-kick, while Will Jarvis dragged his shot over.

Josh Ward then produced a good block to deny Sean McGurk while Louis Beckett saw his own attempt blocked by Hughes, before Ward saw his rebound saved by Owen Mooney. Ward then fired a free-kick over the bar, before Fisk produced a stunning save to deny Harry McHugh from close-range. The City goalkeeper was forced into another save to deny Brown’s deflected shot as the first-half ended goalless.

In the second half, the Tigers started the brighter of the two teams as Ward found the run of Beckett, but his header deflected wide. Despite Hull having the better chances, Wigan took the lead just past the hour mark as Fisk initially produced a fantastic save to deny McHugh, but Hughes was on hand to fire the rebound into the empty net.

The Tigers pushed forward for the equaliser in the last twenty minutes as Jarvis saw his shot blocked by McHugh, while Leake saw two separate attempts blocked by the Wigan defence. Hughes then denied McCauley Snelgrove’s volley, before from the resulting corner, Mills dragged his header wide.

Mooney then produced a good stop to deny Snelgrove from Beckett’s corner, before the midfielder fired a separate shot over the bar. Substitute Josh Hinds was next to take aim, seeing his effort blocked before Harvey Carew headed wide from close-range.

In stoppage-time, Hull had two final chances to secure an equaliser as Ward headed McCauley Power’s corner straight at Mooney, before the Wigan goalkeeper nearly had a moment to forget as he fired his goal kick off the pressing Jarvis, but the loose ball just bounced wide of the Wigan goal as the Tigers suffered defeat.

Hull City: Harry Fisk, Josh Ward, Jake Leake (C), Harry Wallis (McCauley Power 70’), Jevon Mills, Alfie Taylor, Will Jarvis, Louis Beckett, Luke Rees (Josh Hinds 60’), McCauley Snelgrove, Harry Lovick (Harvey Carew 78’).

Subs Not Used: Tom McCauley, Billy Leach.

Wigan Athletic: Owen Mooney, Kieran Lloyd, Marcus Snell, James Carragher, Charlie Hughes, Baba Adeeko, Sean McGurk (Levi Welsh 89’), Harry McGee (Jason Fulton 90’), Tom Costello, Harry McHugh, Millen Brown (Chris Sze 78’).

Subs Not Used: Dan Smith, Zach Dobie.

Advertisement block