Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sunderland 0-0 Hull City (4-5 on pens): Match Report

5 September 2020

Hull City made it through to the second round of the Carabao Cup with a penalty shoot-out victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

Neither side could find a breakthrough during the regulation 90 minutes but, after Matt Ingram had saved Will Grigg’s opening spot-kick in the shoot-out, the Tigers came up with five perfect penalties to book their passage through.

Richie Smallwood wore the captain’s armband on debut, while Josh Emmanuel and Greg Doherty also made their competitive bows for the Tigers. Smallwood and Doherty formed two thirds of a central midfield three that also featured George Honeyman against his former club. A back four consisting of Emmanuel at right back, Brandon Fleming at left back and Jordy de Wijs and Reece Burke in the centre looked to protect Matt Ingram in goal.

Mallik Wilks and Martin Samuelsen played wide, with Tom Eaves the man up front.

Emmanuel made an important contribution within the first 30 seconds as he cleared Max Power’s effort off the line before the home side had a Grigg ‘goal’ ruled out following a push on a defender.

Chris Maguire then fired a good chance wide from 12 yards, while Ingram made a routine save from Aiden O’Brien.

Ingram was back in the action in the 17th minute as he kept out a Luke O’Nien header, with the Tigers then suffering an injury blow as Eaves hobbled off to and was replaced by Keane Lewis-Potter.

O’Brien dragged a shot wide after being played through one-on-one as Sunderland continued to enjoy the better of things before the break, with Fleming cautioned just before half time for a challenge on O’Nien.

Denver Hume headed Sunderland’s first chance of the second half wide before the same player was booked for taking down Lewis-Potter as the Tigers went on a promising-looking counter-attack.

Samuelsen headed the visitors’ first real chance of the afternoon into the hands of home goalkeeper Lee Burge following good work down the right from Honeyman on the hour, while at the other end Grigg saw a second effort of the afternoon ruled out, this time for offside, as he tapped into the net from close range.

Appeals for a penalty were turned down after de Wijs appeared to be pushed in the back as he tried to direct a Fleming corner on target, with Ingram then making a save from Sunderland substitute Charlie Wyke at the other end as the game entered its final ten minutes.

The Tigers did apply some late pressure but there was no breakthrough and the game went to a penalty shoot-out.

PENALTY SHOOT-OUT (Sunderland took the first spot kick)

0-0: Ingram saves from Grigg
0-1: Wilks sends Burge the wrong way to put the visitors ahead

1-1: Power gets Sunderland on the board
1-2: Smallwood finds the bottom corner

2-2: O’Nien with a calm spot kick
2-3: Samuelsen beats the dive of Burge to keep City in front

3-3: Gooch sends the ball into the net
3-4: Honeyman with a nice effort into the bottom corner

4-4: Wyke keeps the tie alive
4-5: Lewis-Potter keeps his nerve to send the Tigers through to the second round

Sunderland: Lee Burge, Tom Flanagan, Jordan Willis, Bailey Wright, Max Power, Chris Maguire (Lynden Gooch 76), George Dobson, Aiden O’Brien (Charlie Wyke 76), Luke O’Nien, Will Grigg, Denver Hume.

Subs Not Used: Remi Matthews, Josh Scowen, Morgan Feeney, Grant Leadbitter, Dan Neil.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Josh Emmanuel, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Brandon Fleming; Richie Smallwood ©, Greg Doherty, George Honeyman; Mallk Wilks, Martin Samuelsen, Tom Eaves (Keane Lewis-Potter 31).

Subs Not Used: Harvey Cartwright, Daniel Batty, Alfie Jones, Sean McLoughlin, Max Sheaf, James Berry.
Referee: Mr A. Bramall.

Advertisement block