Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-2 Leicester City U21s: Match Report

8 September 2020

A late, late penalty saw Hull City slip to a defeat against Leicester City’s Under-21s in the opening game of their EFL Trophy Northern Group H campaign at the KCOM Stadium.

Keane-Lewis Potter had cancelled out Callum Wright’s second half opener, but the Foxes emerged winners as George Hirst scored from the spot deep into added on time.

Grant McCann fielded a young side with Daniel Batty wearing the captain’s armband and Martin Samuelsen the only survivor from the eleven that started against Sunderland in the Carabao Cup at the weekend.

Harvey Cartwright was the man in goal, lining up behind a back four that consisted of Festus Arthur at right back, Alfie Jones and Jacob Greaves in the middle and Sean McLoughlin at left back. Batty was the man holding in midfield with Max Sheaf and Callum Jones ahead of him while Samuelsen played behind a front two of Lewis-Potter and James Berry.

Cartwright was forced to dive to his right to keep out an early attempt from Leicester’s Callum Hulme and that was the closest either side would come to opening the scoring during the opening 20 minutes.

A mistake from Cartwright gifted Hirst an opportunity ten minutes before the break but the goalkeeper recovered well to smother the Leicester striker’s attempt before the Tigers’ first effort at goal came from Lewis-Potter who saw a low shot fielded by Jakub Stolarczyk.

Berry curled an effort over the bar after good work from Sheaf in midfield, while at the other end Shane Flynn’s dangerous low ball flashed across the face of goal.

Hirst was off target with a far post header early in the second half but the Foxes would go on to open the scoring in the 50th minute as Wright got on the end of a Layton Ndukwu free kick.

McLoughlin went close to levelling within a couple of minutes but his diving header was deflected over the bar, but the Tigers were level in the 66th minute. Substitute Billy Chadwick, who had replaced Samuelsen just moments earlier, delivered a delightful cross from the right and Lewis-Potter was there to head home.

The Tigers finished the stronger of the two sides, but it was Leicester that found a winner deep into added time and it came from the penalty spot after Will Russ went down inside the box. Hirst stepped up and beat the dive of Cartwright to earn the Foxes the win.

Hull City: Harvey Cartwright; Festus Arthur (Jordan Hickey 79), Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Sean McLoughlin; Daniel Batty ©, Max Sheaf, Callum Jones; Martin Samuelsen (Billy Chadwick 63); James Berry, Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs Not Used: David Robson, Matthew Jacob, Ryan Hanson, Andy Smith, Harry Wood.

Leicester City: Jakub Stolarczyk, Layton Ndukwu, Mitch Clark, Sam Hughes, Callum Wright, Ali Reghba (Will Russ 72), George Hirst, Darragh O’Connor, Callum Hulme, Tyrese Shade (Terell Pennant 66), Shane Flynn.

Subs Not Used: Arlo Doherty, Ben Nelson, Harvey Godsmark-Ford, Tawanda Maswanhise.

Referee: Mr R. Joyce.

Advertisement block