Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town 2-1 Hull City: Match Report

31 October 2020

Hull City suffered a 2-1 defeat at Swindon Town on Saturday afternoon.

Despite dominating the early stages, and taking a deserved lead through Keane Lewis-Potter, Swindon scored either side of half time to take the points.

Tom Eaves made his 50th appearance for the Tigers as Grant McCann made two changes to his starting eleven. Eaves led the attacking line with Josh Magennis dropping down to the bench, while the other change saw Lewis-Potter come in for Hakeeb Adelakun.

Ahead of kick-off there was a minute’s silence in memory of 1966 World Cup winner Nobby Stiles, who sadly passed away this week.

The visitors were bright from the start with a long ball over the top almost putting Mallik Wilks through on goal and a couple of set-pieces offering further opportunities to attack. From the second of those, Jordy de Wijs headed a difficult chance over at the back post.

de Wijs had to be alert at the other end when making an important block in his own box, before a good chance was presented to Greg Docherty by Wilks but midfielder dragged a shot wide.

The Tigers took a deserved lead in the 16th minute. Lewis-Potter picked up possession from George Honeyman in the centre circle and ran straight at the heart of the Swindon defence before producing a low finish from the edge of the box.

Jonny Smith saw an effort deflect away for a corner in response for the hosts, but the visitors went straight back on the attack as Docherty saw an effort saved by Matej Kovar.

de Wijs was also kept out by the Swindon goalkeeper after meeting a Honeyman corner unmarked, while Lewis-Potter curled a free kick just wide after Eaves had been fouled 25 yards out.

It seemed like a matter of time before the away side would add a second, but it was Swindon that scored next as they made it 1-1 in the 31st minute. A quick short corner caught the defence out and Paul Caddis sent a rocket of a shot into the net via the underside of the bar.

Jonny Smith hooked an effort onto the roof of the net after a free kick hadn’t been fully cleared, and the same man then saw a shot well saved by Matt Ingram just before half time.

Swindon had appeals for a penalty turned down in the opening minutes of the second half when Joel Grant went down under Ingram’s challenge, while Wilks sent a chance over the bar at the other end.

The home side took the lead in the 54th minute. Hallam Hope’s ball sent Joel Grant through and he finished into the bottom corner.

Eaves saw a low shot saved by Kovar with what proved to be his final touch as McCann made a double change. Magennis replaced Eaves, while James Scott came on for Wilks.

A final substitution brought Thomas Mayer on for Docherty, with the Tigers struggling to create anything as they played into a strong wind.

When a chance was created it was converted, although the offside flag cut short any celebrations as Magennis headed in from Honeyman’s free kick.

de Wijs picked up a booking for a foul on Hope, while Callum Elder and Lewis-Potter were also cautioned as a frustrating afternoon reached its conclusion.

Swindon Town: Matej Kovar, Paul Caddis, Jonathan Grounds, Jonny Smith (Brett Pitman 90), Matt Smith, Akin Odimayo, Dion Donohue, Jack Payne, Joel Grant (Ellis Iandolo 83), Anthony Grant, Hallam Hope.

Subs Not Used: Joe Fryer, Taylor Curran, Luke Haines.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Josh Emmanuel, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Callum Elder; Richie Smallwood ©, Greg Docherty (Thomas Mayer 66), George Honeyman; Mallik Wilks (James Scott 58), Tom Eaves (Josh Magennis 58), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs Not Used: George Long, Daniel Batty, Alfie Jones, Regan Slater.

Referee: Mr A. Coggins.

Advertisement block