Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1-0 AFC Wimbledon: Match Report

20 October 2020

Hull City recorded a third successive 1-0 home win as they moved to the top of the Sky Bet League One table with a victory over AFC Wimbledon.

Keane Lewis-Potter scored the all-important goal, netting from close range deep into added on time at the end of the first half before the Tigers went on to earn a sixth clean sheet in seven league games.

Lewie Coyle made his first league start for his hometown club as one of two changes to Grant McCann’s starting eleven. Coyle came in for Josh Emmanuel at right back, while Hakeeb Adelakun took the place of Mallik Wilks. Both Emmanuel and Wilks were included on the bench.

Coyle’s first real involvement left him needing lengthy treatment after he was clattered when competing for a high ball, although he did receive the all-clear to continue.

Wimbledon’s Alex Woodyard picked up a booking for a foul on Lewis-Potter before Josh Magennis headed the first chance of the evening wide when he got on the end of George Honeyman’s cross.

An even better opportunity came at the other end in the 20th minute but Jack Rudoni shot wide from six yards out as the home side was given a let-off.

Coyle had to be replaced by Emmanuel half-an-hour in as the right back’s evening ended with his arm in a makeshift sling, while Magennis saw a header saved by Connal Trueman following Callum Elder’s corner.

Just when it looked as though the sides would go in level at the break, the Tigers opened the scoring deep into added on time. Elder’s corner was directed goalwards by Jacob Greaves and, when his effort was blocked, Lewis-Potter was there to knock the ball into the net from close range.

It was a quiet start to the second half as both sides struggled to create anything meaningful in the attacking third, until Callum Reilly tested Matt Ingram with a low shot that was heading for the bottom corner until the goalkeeper’s intervention.

A second change by McCann saw Wilks introduced for Adelakun before Reece Burke directed a header from Elder’s corner wide.

The final change for the home side saw Tom Eaves replace Magennis, while the Dons’ Daniel Csoka was booked for a foul on Honeyman.

Eaves was denied by Trueman as the game entered its final ten minutes, while Wilks picked up a yellow card for perceived time wasting.

Honeyman was also cautioned after a foul in added time, but the Tigers saw the job through.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle (Josh Emmanuel 30), Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Richie Smallwood ©, Greg Docherty, George Honeyman; Hakeeb Adelakun (Mallik Wilks 64), Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 73), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs Not Used: George Long, Alfie Jones, Regan Slater, Thomas Mayer.

AFC Wimbledon: Connal Trueman, Luke O’Neill, Daniel Csoka, Alex Woodyard, Terell Thomas, Jack Rudoni (Ryan Longman 58), Jaakko Oksanen (Anthony Hartigan 58), Shane McLoughlin, Callum Reilly, Joe Pigott, Steve Seddon.

Subs Not Used: Nikola Tzanev, Cheye Alexander, Adam Roscrow, Nesta Guiness-Walker, Paul Kalambayi.

Referee: Mr R. Madley.

Advertisement block