Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevenage 1-1 Hull City (6-5 on pens): Match Report

29 November 2020

Hull City were knocked out of the FA Cup in the second round after a shock penalty shootout defeat by League Two strugglers Stevenage.

Tom Eaves’ 52nd-minute spot-kick looked to have given the Tigers victory but substitute Elliott List’s powerful 79th-minute finish sent the tie to extra time and eventually penalties.

Boro's first effort from Tom Pett was saved by George Long, but on-loan Chelsea goalkeeper Jamie Cumming denied Eaves and Sean McLoughlin to send Stevenage through to round three.

Grant McCann made 10 changes for Hull City’s first-ever meeting with Stevenage, with Regan Slater the only survivor from the impressive win at Ipswich.

Eaves, the scorer of the third goal at Portman Road, started up front and Hull-born Lewie Coyle captained the side.

Forty-four league places separated the teams at kick-off but there was nothing between them in a keenly-fought first half.

The Tigers started the stronger; Dan Batty’s outside-of-the-boot 25-yarder sailed wide and Martin Samuelsen headed James Scott’s accurate cross tamely into the arms of Cumming.

Stevenage, fourth bottom in League Two, came into the contest with Danny Newton powering a header over the bar from Tom Pett’s corner.

Newton should have put Boro in front after 16 minutes when Remeao Hutton fizzed a teasing centre into the near post but the forward’s close-range effort somehow deflected wide.

It was a big let-off for the Tigers, who instantly responded with a good chance of their own.

Jordy de Wijs’ thumping headed clearance found its way to Eaves, who effortlessly shrugged off Terence Vancooten before stinging the palms of Cumming with a fierce drive.

Thomas Mayer cut infield and arrowed a left-footed shot wide before standing up a cross for Samuelsen to nod down but just past the upright.

Boro were proving more than a match for their higher league opponents and continued to give the away defence plenty to think about.

Aramide Oteh’s right-footed drive was palmed away at the near post by George Long, who then got down low to keep out Newton’s first-time 20-yard strike.

Chances were coming at both ends, James Scott going close six minutes before the interval with a driven effort which forced Cumming into another fine save.

After a frustrating first period, Hull City broke the deadlock seven minutes into the second half.

Luke Prosser clipped Samuelsen inside the area and Eaves thumped the resulting penalty low beyond Cumming into the bottom corner.

That lead was almost wiped out immediately as Hutton picked out Pett in the middle but his scrambled effort was grabbed by Long on the line.

Batty’s wide free-kick forced a back-peddling Cumming to tip over and substitute Keane Lewis-Potter, making his first appearance since returning from self-isolation, curled another set-piece straight at the Chelsea loanee.

Samuelsen had a decent opportunity to extend the visitors’ advantage from Batty’s half-cleared free-kick but dragged wide from the edge of the box.

Spirited Stevenage had given a performance that belied their lowly league position and hit back with 12 minutes left.

A ricochet inside the box broke fortuitously for List to lash a venomous right-footed drive into the roof of the net from eight yards.

Samuelsen had two chances in quick succession to restore the Tigers’ lead, seeing one effort blocked before firing another wastefully over when he should have done better.

Neither side could find a winner in the closing stages as the tie headed into extra time.

Newton almost gave Boro a surprise lead in the 99th minute when his spectacular long-range strike was tipped over by Long.

Eaves headed onto the roof of the net from Batty’s centre as Hull City’s frustrations continued, with goalmouth action at a premium during the additional half-hour.


PENALTY SHOOTOUT (Stevenage took the first spot kick)

0-0: Pett’s right-footed effort is saved by Long

0-1: Coyle sends Cumming the wrong way


1-1: Smith finds the bottom corner

1-2: Callum Jones puts it down the middle


2-2: List with a fine penalty into the bottom left-hand corner

2-2: Cumming guesses correctly to turn away Eaves’ effort


3-2: Read goes central, with Long diving to his left

3-3: Chadwick converts right footed


4-3: Newton blasts in despite a touch from Long

4-4: Lewis-Potter puts it just out of the keeper’s reach


5-4: Vincelot into the roof of the net

5-5: Alfie Jones calmly dispatches his spot-kick


6-5: Coker goes high down the middle

6-5: McLoughlin’s penalty is saved by Cumming to his left



Stevenage: Jamie Cumming, Ben Coker, Luke Prosser, Charlie Carter (Romain Vincelot 88’), Tyrone Marsh (Elliott List 72’), Danny Newton, Remeao Hutton, Terence Vancooten, Arthur Iontton (Arthur Read 66’), Tom Pett, Aramide Oteh (Jack Smith 97’).

Subs not used: Billy Johnson, Femi Akinwande, Ross Marshall.


Hull City: George Long; Lewie Coyle ©, Jordy de Wijs (Brandon Fleming 82’), Alfie Jones, Sean McLoughlin; Dan Batty, Regan Slater, Martin Samuelsen (Callum Jones 90’); Thomas Mayer (Keane Lewis-Potter 60’), Tom Eaves, James Scott (Billy Chadwick 79’).

Subs not used: Harvey Cartwright, Festus Arthur, Max Sheaf.

Advertisement block