Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 2-0 Burton Albion: Match Report

14 November 2020

Hull City recorded a third straight win in all competitions as second-half goals from Mallik Wilks and Hakeeb Adelakun saw off plucky 10-man Burton.

The Brewers were without a host of players due to Covid-19 and their task was made harder when Sam Hughes was shown red after 18 minutes for two bookable offences.

The Tigers dominated throughout and opened the scoring just past the hour mark when Wilks fired home after George Honeyman’s free-kick was only half-cleared.

Substitute Adelakun secured an eighth win in 11 league games with a fine low strike two minutes from time as Grant McCann's men moved up to second in League One.

The Hull City team showed three changes from the side that were beaten 2-1 by Swindon in their last league outing a fortnight ago.

Jacob Greaves, who penned a new three-year deal this week, was given the nod at centre-half, with Thomas Mayer handed his full league debut and James Scott also starting.

Jordy de Wijs, Tom Eaves and Keane Lewis-Potter dropped out, the latter absent as he follows coronavirus self-isolation guidelines.

The Brewers had seen their preparations severely hit by Covid-19, with six first-team players testing positive and more required to self-isolate.

Perhaps sensing an opportunity, the Tigers almost took the lead inside seven minutes as George Honeyman’s well-flighted free-kick was headed wide at the far post by Greaves.

Wilks, deployed through the middle, then picked up the ball 25 yards out and steered a low driven effort inches wide of Ben Garratt’s left-hand upright.

Burton responded with a good chance of their own, Ryan Edwards nipping ahead of Callum Elder but he could only divert Niall Ennis’ outside-of-the-boot cross wide.

The depleted visitors were winless in their previous 12 and their problems deepened when Hughes was shown a second yellow card for hauling down Wilks with just 18 minutes on the clock.

It almost got worse for Albion from the resulting free-kick as Greaves, again arriving at the far post, met Elder’s delivery with a downward header which Garratt pushed away.

The Burton keeper was called into action again, parrying Wilks’ powerful strike from distance after the 21-year-old had turned smartly away from John Brayford.

Despite the man advantage, Hull City weren’t finding it easy to break down the spirited Brewers.

Good approach work on 39 minutes saw Mayer slip in Scott, making a clever run in from the left, who took a touch before firing right footed over the bar.

Honeyman directed a header goalwards from Josh Emmanuel’s accurate cross but Garratt was again in the right place to tip over.

McCann made a double change at the break as Eaves and Adelakun came on for Mayer and Scott.

It was Burton, though, who fashioned the first meaningful opportunity of the second period, Neal Eardley curling a 25-yard free-kick narrowly wide of the far top corner.

That proved a wake-up call for the Tigers, who thought they should have had a penalty when Adelakun went down inside the area – but he was instead booked for diving.

Burton had defended manfully but their resistance was finally broken on 62 minutes.

Honeyman’s free-kick dropped kindly for Wilks, completely unmarked inside the box, to side foot the ball first time into the roof of the net.

It should have been 2-0 moments later as Wilks turned provider, picking out Adelakun eight yards out but, leaning back, he somehow fired over the bar.

Adelakun almost atoned for that miss when he exchanged passes smartly with Eaves before drawing a fine save from Garratt low to his left.

The Tigers’ dominance was absolute yet just one goal remained the difference ticking into the final ten minutes.

Honeyman’s lofted pass sent Eaves through one-on-one but his placed shot was straight at Garratt, who then palmed away Wilks’ cross-shot.

The game was put to bed with two minutes remaining, Adelakun drilling a venomous low drive into the bottom corner from 30 yards.


Hull City: Matt Ingram; Josh Emmanuel, Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder, Richie Smallwood ©, George Honeyman, Greg Docherty (Martin Samuelsen 66’); Thomas Mayer (Tom Eaves 45’), Mallik Wilks, James Scott (Hakeeb Adelakun 45’).

Subs: George Long, Alfie Jones, Regan Slater, Callum Jones.


Burton Albion: Ben Garratt, John Brayford ©, Ryan Edwards, Stephen Quinn (Michael Bostwick 53’), Indiana Vassilev (John-Joe O’Toole 20’), Steven Lawless, Owen Gallacher, Ciaran Gilligan, Neal Eardley (Reece Hutchinson 86’), Sam Hughes, Niall Ennis.

Subs: Callum Hawkins, Ben Hart, Tom Hewlett.

Advertisement block