Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Hull City U23s 1-0 Charlton Athletic U23s: Match Report

3 November 2020

Hull City U23s secured all three points at the KCOM Stadium after a 1-0 victory over Charlton Athletic.

James Scott’s strike in the 85th minute sealed a well-deserved victory for the Tigers, despite going down to ten men after Dan Batty’s second bookable offence.

Cliff Byrne took charge of the team in this fixture and changed the entire starting eleven to the team that were defeated 2-0 away at Cardiff City last time out. A majority of players from Grant McCann’s first-team squad were given starts, with a handful of U23 regulars also featuring.

The Tigers created the majority of chances in the first half as Billy Chadwick picked out the run of Thomas Mayer, but his deflected effort was held by Joe Osaghae. The Charlton keeper was then called into action moments later as he blocked well to deny Scott from point-blank range.

At the other end, Harry Glandour fired his volley over the bar, before Mayer saw another effort well saved by Osaghae. The Tigers predominantly looked threatening from the right hand side and good crosses from Mayer and Callum Jones went unpunished as the first half ended goalless.

In the second half, the Tigers continued to push for the opener as Mayer curled two separate attempts wide of Osaghae’s post. Brandon Fleming was next to take aim, but he fired his shot wide, before the Tigers were reduced to ten men, after Dan Batty received his second bookable offence.

The visitors tried to make their man advantage count as Armando Quitirna Junior fired his free-kick over the bar, before the Tigers took the lead. A quick counter attack lead to Mayer picking out Scott on the edge of the penalty area and the striker rifled his low shot into the bottom corner. 

Charlton nearly equalised moments later as Jay Mingi saw his shot blocked by Alfie Jones, before the defender linked up well with Mayer to create space for the Austrian, but the winger fired his cross-shot wide. Scott then saw his header from close-range saved by Osaghae in stoppage-time as the Tigers secured all three points.


Hull City: George Long (GK), Dan Batty, James Scott, Alfie Jones, Regan Slater, Brandon Fleming, Thomas Mayer, Jacob Greaves (C), Festus Arthur, Billy Chadwick, Callum Jones.

Subs Not Used: Harvey Cartwright (GK), Jordan Hickey, Ahmed Salam, Max Sheaf, Matty Jacob.


Charlton Athletic: Joe Osaghae, Freddy Barton, Kasim Aidoo, Harry Taylor (Aaron Henry 88’), Lucas Ness, Jay Mingi, Johl Powell, Armando Quitirna Junior, Wassim Aouachria (Dylan Gavin 63’), Brendan Sarpong Wiredu (C) (Charlie Barker 89’), Harry Glandour.

Subs Not Used: Nathan Harness (GK).

Advertisement block