Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

20 February 2021 Venue The Keepmoat Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

McCann Hopeful Of Gavin Whyte Return

19 February 2021

Head Coach Grant McCann is hoping to welcome back winger Gavin Whyte for Saturday’s trip to the Keepmoat Stadium to take on promotion rivals Doncaster Rovers.

The 25-year-old has been absent since the 2-0 loss away at Accrington Stanley in January, but McCann hopes to have the loanee available for the upcoming game.

“Gavin has been back on the pitch,” said McCann. “We’re hoping he’ll be available this weekend. It’s a huge boost for us because his pace and awareness is fantastic. He’s been working hard and it will be great if we can have him fit for the game on Saturday.”

The Tigers’ Head Coach was also able to report further good news as Callum Jones and Tom Eaves near a return to action.

“Tom Eaves might be back next weekend for the AFC Wimbledon game,” he added. “Callum Jones is back in full training now. He’s been getting sharper throughout the week and we’re hoping to get him involved in a couple of under-23s games as he builds his fitness back up.”

McCann also delivered positive news that Club Captain Richie Smallwood did not require surgery on an injury which looked to have ruled the midfielder out for the remainder of the season, hinting that the 30-year-old may have a chance to make a return before the end of the campaign.

“Richie Smallwood doesn’t need an operation on his injury, which is great news,” said McCann. “Knowing him and his work ethic, we may yet see Richie again this season.”

Three of the Tigers’ younger players remain sidelined but McCann says they are making progress.

“Brandon Fleming (pubic bone injury) is getting better,” he added. “Festus Arthur (thigh), we’ll be missing him until next season. Young Elliott Bonds, who had an ACL injury at Cheltenham, is progressing every day.”

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Doncaster Rovers 3-3 Hull City: Match Report

20 February 2021

James Coppinger’s sublime free-kick 12 minutes into stoppage time denied Hull City victory in a pulsating match against fellow promotion hopefuls Doncaster Rovers.

The Tigers led 2-0 after 24 minutes, courtesy of a brace of headers from Mallik Wilks against his former club.

Reece James’ fizzing strike halved the deficit but Jacob Greaves’ first senior goal made it 3-1 at the break.

Omar Bogle’s 67th-minute penalty set up a grandstand finish before George Honeyman was stretchered off with his head in a neck brace following a lengthy stoppage.

Rovers veteran Coppinger, wearing the gold third kit he designed to commemorate his 17th and final season at the club, then curled in a glorious free-kick to complete a rousing comeback.

Unsurprisingly, Grant McCann – back at the Keepmoat Stadium for the first time since leaving for Hull City in June 2019 – named an unchanged team from the 5-0 thrashing of Wigan Athletic.

Blustery conditions made for a scrappy start and it wasn't until the 16th minute that either side had a sight of goal.

Honeyman delivered a typically inviting free-kick towards the far post but Greaves, perhaps not expecting the ball to reach him, was unable to make a meaningful connection.

Set-pieces have been a common source of goals for the Tigers this season and so it proved again on 19 minutes.

Callum Elder’s delightful free-kick from near the corner flag was missed by home keeper Ellery Balcombe and nodded into an empty net by Wilks from six yards.

The in-form forward scored his first career hat-trick in the midweek Latics success and had his fifth goal in two games with another header five minutes later.

Greg Docherty swung in a pinpoint cross for the 22-year-old, getting across his man, to send a glancing, bouncing header just out of Balcombe’s reach.

Hull City were playing with a real swagger and could have been further ahead on the half-hour.

Lewie Coyle regained possession on the edge of the box and fed Josh Magennis, whose drive deflected fortuitously off Joe Wright into the arms of Balcombe, who was already on the deck.

From almost scoring, Magennis then showed his value from defensive set-pieces, hacking Omar Bogle’s towering header off the line from Jon Taylor’s corner.

But it proved only a momentary reprieve as James took aim from 25 yards and drilled a fizzing effort into the bottom corner with the outside of his left boot.

Determined to re-establish their two-goal cushion, the visitors immediately went on the offensive.

Docherty’s sweet half-volley from a partly-cleared Honeyman corner was headed over by Tom Anderson from virtually on the line.

Anderson thwarted Docherty again shortly after, blocking the Scot’s driven effort from Keane Lewis-Potter’s pull-back.

The resulting corner on 38 minutes brought the third goal City were craving, Greaves rising highest to head home Honeyman’s inswinging delivery for his long-awaited first Tigers goal.

It was the perfect end to an enthralling first half and the Tigers should have been home and hosed 12 minutes into the second period.

Balcombe's sliced, scooped clearance went straight to Lewis-Potter, who took his time before delicately dinking the ball over the shot-stopper but onto the outside of the post.

The visitors, who lost Docherty to injury moments before that golden chance, spent the rest of the game on the back foot.

Darren Moore's men had penalty appeals waved away after Josh Sims’ close-range shot from Taylor Richards’ cut-back appeared to strike Coyle’s hand.

Rovers protested vehemently but to no avail and were incredulous when shouts for another spot-kick fell on deaf ears from a James corner.

Doncaster were building up a head of steam and were eventually given a penalty on 67 minutes, Bogle sending Matt Ingram the wrong way after Sims was tripped by Wilks.

That made for a nervy final quarter and the Tigers - having made all of their permitted substitutions - were forced to finish the game with 10 men after a worrying-looking injury to Honeyman.

The influential midfielder stayed down after colliding with Jason Lokilo and required a lengthy spell of treatment before leaving the field on a stretcher with his head in a neck brace.

It had been a breathtaking match packed full of incident and there was to be one last twist in the tale.

Deep into injury time, substitute Coppinger stepped over a free-kick and curled a pinpoint 20-yard effort into the top corner to rescue the most dramatic of points.


Doncaster Rovers: Ellery Balcombe, Brad Halliday, Reece James, Tom Anderson ©, Joe Wright, Madger Gomes (John Bostock 45’), Omar Bogle, Jon Taylor (James Coppinger 86’), Matt Smith (Scott Robertson 86’), Taylor Richards, Josh Sims (Jason Lokilo 76’).

Subs: Louis Jones, Andy Butler, Cameron John.


Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle ©, Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder, Alfie Jones, George Honeyman, Greg Docherty (Regan Slater 56’); Mallik Wilks (Josh Emmanuel 81’), Josh Magennis (Gavin Whyte 68’), Keane Lewis-Potter.

Subs: George Long, James Scott, Sean McLoughlin, Crowley.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block