Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

27 February 2021 Venue Plough Lane Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Tom Eaves Set To Return

26 February 2021

Head Coach Grant McCann has confirmed that striker Tom Eaves will travel with the squad to AFC Wimbledon after recovering from injury.

The 29-year-old has been missing since early January with a calf problem, but McCann says the squad is looking stronger ahead of the trip to Plough Lane.

“Everyone has come through the Ipswich game and the team is looking a bit stronger,” said McCann.

“Tom Eaves has trained this week, which is good. He’ll be part of the group that travels to Wimbledon and it’s pleasing to see that everyone is in good shape heading into the weekend.

“It’s a nice boost to have Tom back. He’s great to have around the group and he’s a very likeable guy and a good player. It’s been a bit stop-start for Eavesy with the injuries he’s picked up in both matches at Sunderland and it’s been frustrating for him.

“He’s been working hard and he’s looking strong so it’s nice to have him back fit and available.”

Advertisement block

Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon 0-3 Hull City: Match Report

27 February 2021

Josh Magennis, Reece Burke and Mallik Wilks were on target as Hull City eased to a convincing win at relegation-threatened AFC Wimbledon.

The victory never looked in doubt from the moment Magennis gave the Tigers a 24th-minute lead from the penalty spot after a foul on Keane Lewis-Potter.

Burke hooked home a second two minutes before half-time and Wilks won and converted a 64th-minute spot-kick to secure a ninth away league win of the season.

Grant McCann made three changes for Hull City’s first trip to Wimbledon’s new 9,300-capacity Plough Lane home.

Lewie Coyle replaced Josh Emmanuel at right-back and took the captain’s armband, Alfie Jones came into midfield for Dan Crowley and Magennis started ahead of Gavin Whyte in the front three.

Tom Eaves was named on the bench after recovering from a calf injury sustained in January’s draw at Sunderland.

Wilks, with five goals in his previous two away games, fired a tame early shot straight at home keeper Sam Walker and Dons dangerman Joe Pigott curled a 25-yard free-kick over.

Magennis rose highest to head George Honeyman’s fine left-footed centre over as the Tigers began to crank up the pressure, forcing a succession of corners and having two efforts blocked.

The first goal has proved so important for McCann’s men this season, with 15 of the previous 16 league wins achieved after netting first.

And it was the visitors who opened the scoring on 24 minutes after Honeyman’s penetrative, outside-of-the-boot pass released Lewis-Potter, who was upended by Darnell Johnson inside the box.

Magennis took responsibility from 12 yards, confidently drilling his right-footed penalty emphatically into the net, with Walker going the wrong way.

The Wombles had won two of their last three outings under new boss Mark Robinson and looked to respond through George Dobson, whose deflected left-footer was held by Matt Ingram.

It had been a professional first-half performance from Hull City, who should have made life more comfortable seven minutes before the break.

Lewis-Potter latched onto Magennis’ delightful through ball and rounded Walker, who was caught in no man’s land, but from a narrow angle, he pulled his effort agonisingly wide of the far post.

The Tigers were not left to rue that miss for long, however, as Burke made it 2-0 on the cusp of half-time.

Coyle’s diagonal ball into the box was nodded back across goal by Magennis and Burke took advantage of indecisive goalkeeping from Walker to skilfully hook in an improvised volley from close range.

Hull City showed no let-up after the break as Honeyman pounced on a Dons slip before hitting a low drive which Walker parried.

Wilks’ long-range strike was spilled by Walker and Magennis blasted a 25-yard drive wide, with the latter then standing up a cross for the former to head over the angle.

The Tigers’ dominance was underlined with a third goal on 64 minutes as Wilks was hauled down by Alex Woodyard inside the box.

After a dispute as to who should take the penalty, Wilks calmly rolled the ball left footed into the bottom corner for goal number 18 of the season.

Wimbledon responded by making a quadruple substitution, with McCann opting to use three of his subs not long after, as Eaves, Crowley and Whyte replaced Magennis, Wilks and Lewis-Potter.

Regan Slater and Sean McLoughlin were later introduced, with Honeyman and Greaves those to make way.

With the result now a formality, the final half-hour passed largely without incident until a late Dons rally.

Jaakko Oksanen’s 25-yard strike was heading for the top corner until Ingram flicked the ball over the bar and Cheye Alexander’s effort was deflected wide of the far post.


AFC Wimbledon: Sam Walker, Alex Woodyard ©, Will Nightingale, Ethan Chislett (Shane McLoughlin 58’), Jack Rudoni, Nesta Guinness-Walker (Cheye Alexander 69’), Ben Heneghan, George Dobson (Jaakko Oksanen 69’), Darnell Johnson (Luke O’Neill 69’), Ryan Longman (Paul Osew 68’), Joe Pigott.

Subs not used: Nikola Tzanev, Daniel Csoka.


Hull City: Matt Ingram, Lewie Coyle ©, Reece Burke, Jacob Greaves, Callum Elder; Alfie Jones (Sean McLoughlin 91’), George Honeyman (Regan Slater 80’), Greg Docherty; Mallik Wilks (Dan Crowley 75’), Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 75’), Keane Lewis-Potter (Gavin Whyte 75’).

Subs not used: George Long, Josh Emmanuel.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block