Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Ken Wagstaff (1964-1975 - 434 apps, 197 goals)

Revered striker Ken Wagstaff was voted Hull City’s greatest-ever player by supporters in 2004 as part of the club’s centenary celebrations.

Seventh on the Tigers’ all-time appearance list, his tally of 197 Hull City goals is bettered only by his late friend Chris Chilton, with whom he enjoyed a formidable strike partnership.

A dazzling dribbler with lightning pace and footballing intelligence, ‘Waggy’ was capable of producing something out of the ordinary and played with style and bravery.

Not only was he adored on the terraces at Boothferry Park but in the stands at Field Mill, Mansfield, where he was plucked from the Nottinghamshire minor leagues by a certain Raich Carter.

Under the tutelage of another Tigers great, the much-loved frontman plundered an eye-watering 106 goals in four years with the Stags – putting him third in their record goalscorers’ list.

His Hull City story began in November 1964 when he was signed by Cliff Britton for a then club record £40,000 – a substantial fee at the time.

Wagstaff immediately began to repay that outlay with a goal on his debut in a 3-1 victory over Exeter City.

The tone had been set and he finished the season with 23 goals in 25 league matches – only four fewer than leading marksman Chilton, who had 15 more games to achieve the feat.

You cannot keep a good man down and Wagstaff went on to top the Tigers’ scoring charts in each of the next five seasons.

The 1965/66 campaign was the most prolific of his Hull City career – and also the most successful – as his 27 league goals fired Britton’s boys to the Third Division title.

He eclipsed 20 goals five seasons running and maintained a strike rate of one goal every other game as the Tigers became an established Division Two fixture, reaching the heights of fifth in 1970/71.

The latter stages of his time at Boothferry Park were interrupted by injury, with a cartilage operation meaning he missed much of the 1972/73 season.

He still hit double figures in 1973/74 and top scored with 11 in 1974/75 before calling time on a stellar Hull City career midway through the 1975/76 campaign.

His final appearance in black and amber came in a 1-0 victory against Portsmouth in November of that year – 11 years and one day after his first.