Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Andy Davidson (1949-1968 – 579 apps, 19 goals)

Hull City’s all-time appearance holder with 579 appearances, Andy “Jock” Davidson spent over 30 years associated with the club, first starting as a player in 1949, with his brother, David Davidson, also representing the Tigers.

Versatile throughout his career, playing at both centre-back and right-back, Davidson made his Tigers debut at the age of 20 on 8th September 1952 against Blackburn Rovers after recovering from an initial broken right leg, as well as completing his National Service. Operating at first as a centre-forward, Davidson scored his first Tigers goal in just his third appearance, a 3-0 victory over Blackburn, before he broke his left leg in January 1953.

It took Davidson two years to return to full fitness, but he sadly broke his leg again in his comeback game. After making only two appearances in the 1954/55 season, Davidson started a spectacularly consistent run in the team, missing only six of the next 139 fixtures between August 1955 and August 1958.

Despite playing only 26 times due to a knee injury, Davidson helped earn promotion to Division Two at the conclusion of the 1958/59 season. Named as club captain, Davidson started 155 consecutive matches from December 1958 to February 1962, before beating his own record a month later, making 201 consecutive starts up until New Year's Day 1966.

In the 1965/66 title-winning season, Davidson missed only one game as he helped lift the Division Three trophy. Making a further 42 appearances in all competitions in his last two seasons, with his 579th and last coming against Aston Villa on 18th November 1967. Davidson brought the curtain down on his illustrious career at the end of the 1967/68 season.

“Jock” didn’t end his association with the Tigers there, though, as he went on to join the coaching staff as well as earn a testimonial against Manchester City. Over 13,000 fans attended the fixture on 1st April 1969, as a Ken Wagstaff brace helped the Tigers secure the victory. In 1974, Davidson became assistant manager, working under John Kaye and Ken Houghton, before leaving the club in December 1979 when he was a scout.